Re-Installing Rivets on a cymbal

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Hey friends,

Over the last 10 months of playing my Sand Crash/Ride, one by one the rivets have been falling out. I suspect it's something to do with how they sit in my cymbal bag, but is there a way to re-install them without the use of special tools or machinery? I'm going to be flying to Norway to record in a few months and would like to not have to send the cymbal back to Meinl to get it re-riveted.

-Jonathan

replace your rivets with split rivets and use a screw driver blade to spread the split section apart after inserting them in the cymbal.

Or use brass paper fasteners...

You can buy replacement rivets online.
You can flare the ends with a small hammer and awl or even a ball point pen.

related question -
if I wanted to rivet a cymbal myself, I assume with careful drilling it can be done? I've seen pics who have drilled a small hole to prevent cracking in cymbals, it's the same premise.

What size drill bit is to be used for the rivet hole?

Just for yucks I took a crash that I didn't like and out 27 rivets in it for an effects cymbal. Careful drilling and the hardware store for split rivets. Don't buy Zildjian. I think you get 6 rivets for about $400.00. here is Walmarts offering

Attachments

• 1f44c5b5-31ef-4545-84f5-268b4da063c0_1.7a474d9f27267ae42a64ebaa55374c53.jpeg
    1f44c5b5-31ef-4545-84f5-268b4da063c0_1.7a474d9f27267ae42a64ebaa55374c53.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 148
You can also get some lighter Chicago screws for a local hardware store. I like to the smaller shops like Lowes that have loose hardware. You could even bring your ride and try out different sizes.

floralscrewpost.jpg

I have been using really liking them for my leatherworking projects over rivets because they're much easier to install and are removable.

You can also get some lighter Chicago screws for a local hardware store. I like to the smaller shops like Lowes that have loose hardware. You could even bring your ride and try out different sizes.

floralscrewpost.jpg

I have been using really liking them for my leatherworking projects over rivets because they're much easier to install and are removable.

Exactly this. Aluminum Chicago screws with a dab of removable Loctite is the perfect solution for me. I sometimes even take them out or add them in between songs. Great sound.

Back