Racks?

SeveringDozza

I'm thinking about getting a drum rack as I thought it will be easier because I've got a 7 piece kit.

Could someone please recommend a good, but not too expensive rack?

Thanks.

Can't go wrong with Gibraltar. I had a Gibraltar GRS-350C rack and I was very happy with it. Rock solid and sturdy, nothing was moving once that was set up.

In the end it proved too combersome for my small kit, and a little inflexible when it came to moving stuff around, but the rack itself perfromed flawlessly.

It depends on your setup size and configuration. For me, the rack took longer, but that's because I've really tried to streamline the setup of every stand on my kit, and not use more stands than I have to. I also have a fairly small kit (three toms).

For bigger kits, racks will be a timesaver, simply because you'd need so many stands to get the same job done.

Do racks actually make it quicker/easier with packing and setting up?

Yes, and no. Most racks, and depending on what you choose to use, obviously have some unorthodox-length tubes/bars/rails. I have yet to see a road case for rack components. If I'm playing locally, I usually leave my rack together and bring it in one piece in the back of the truck (just folded t it's two connector joints).

39832.jpg

If on the road, it must be broken down.
If raining, it must be broken down.
If you don't have a truck or trailer, it must be broken down.

You'll thank whatever company provides the best memory lock system, because setting any kit back up quickly hinges directly on how fast you can get all of your pieces back... which is one of the reasons we get pushed towards a rack system to begin with...and with a rack that can happen very quickly. I keep the tom holders on (even broken down) but they are on memory locks too, so if you do choose to pull them, they find their way back to spot perfectly. Same goes with rack mounted cymbal booms, on memory locks. Easy up, easy down.

34830.jpg

38171.jpg

The biggest benefit for me was the reduced foot print of the kit in it's entirety. Less feet on the ground, less things to remember, very compartmentalized.

Upsides:
Footprint "can" be smaller. Ease of memory locking. Tear-down/setup ease.

Downsides:
Not very travel friendly (especially without a truck or trailer). Plus, you definitely have to worry about each venue you haven't been to. Will your rack fit the drum rise/stage. Once your on a rack, unless you have another smaller club kit or some "other" option, you're stuck on it. You might consider saving some stands, just in case.

I'm building my own road case which will hold my drums, pedals, and cymbals. My consideration is to incorporate a strap-based wall mounting system to secure the bars to when we set up our trailer. It'll be the only way unless, like I said before, you happen to find a case for the rack parts.

An older setup of my kit, but the point is the same - notice there is only a few legs on the ground vs. what cymbal stands would have to be there instead. I enjoy having the rack. Definitely better than moving many stands and trying to set them up and tear them down all the time.

32692.jpg

So, good luck.

Check out the Pearl 501 and 503 series also. It can be had for a lot less that the Gibraltar or PDP.

If you do your shopping they are. When I bought my rack the Pearl Icon was about 100,00 less than any Gibraltar or PDP for the same equipment. trust me my budget says shop. I got the rack at one online company and the clamps at another and talked them into free shipping to get the order. Check the two below.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-20 at 10.16.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-20 at 10.16.19 PM.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Screen shot 2009-11-20 at 10.18.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-20 at 10.18.41 PM.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,156
Those racks in the pic are only 1 side. I would need more.

Also, I live in Australia so the shipping would cost a lot from the US.

GD, he's got a 7 piece...cymbals (not stated)...looking at lot more than that.

GD is right though, shopping and haggling "can" help but it's only a slice off of the pie.

SD...the only way you're going to get a cheap-cheap deal is to find it used and from someone who is willing to cut you a break.

Which rack is bigger, the Pearl Icon curved version or Square version?

Also, with the pearl icon I think I'm going to have to buy additional clamps for cymbals.

Which ones would be better to get for cymbals? More PCX-100 Pipe Clamps or PCL-100 ICON Rack leg posts?

Thanks.

Which rack is bigger, the Pearl Icon curved version or Square version?

Also, with the pearl icon I think I'm going to have to buy additional clamps for cymbals.

They are supposedly the same size, but from what I've seen in the stores the bars of the curved version are about 8-12" longer than the straight bars.

I have a 7-piece kit and the DR-503C rack, but find I only use 2 of the 3 bars due to space limitations of most clubs... and some places it's too big for their stage area. But it does make setup and tear down a lot easier in the sense that I can set it up ahead of time and load the fully assembled kit onto the stage.

Which ones would be better to get for cymbals? More PCX-100 Pipe Clamps or PCL-100 ICON Rack leg posts?

Depends on what you've got. I think the clamps are cheaper than the legs, and their position is more adjustable. The 503C comes with two PCL-100 bars, and four PCX-100 clamps

Here's how I have mine set up..

Nov_09_Pearl_kit_b.jpg

Back