Question for those of you who have gone through The New Breed

EricT43

I got this book about 3 weeks ago, and so far I am really enjoying the exercises. If I understand the book correctly, you should stick with one system until you can get through all the melody charts with that system, and then move on to the next system and start with the first melody page again. Is that how you did it? I ask because I'm particularly interested in some of the system patterns more than others, because they apply more to what I want to improve in my playing (HH foot on the upbeats). Just curious if you see any harm in going out of order.

I got this book about 3 weeks ago, and so far I am really enjoying the exercises. If I understand the book correctly, you should stick with one system until you can get through all the melody charts with that system, and then move on to the next system and start with the first melody page again. Is that how you did it? I ask because I'm particularly interested in some of the system patterns more than others, because they apply more to what I want to improve in my playing (HH foot on the upbeats). Just curious if you see any harm in going out of order.

That is how the book is presented, but by the time I got to that book, I was already familiar with Time Functioning Patterns, which is similar. In both books, there is a repeating "system", and then some exercises to be executed with the remaining limbs.

Some of the systems in New Breed are fairly plain (i.e. 16ths with the right hand, 8ths with left foot), but some are more "drummeristic". I tended to focus more on the practical systems, and leave the stranger ones alone. But then something strange happened: after I got through one of the systems, the rest took less and less time and effort. It's a cumulative process. The learning curve is steep at first, but then it really picks up, once the coordination kicks in. After a while, it becomes pursuing coordination for its own sake, rather than user-friendly guide. It goes from practical, to cerebral. So, in the real world of playing music, there are diminishing returns.

Anyway, I recommend Time Functioning Patterns as well as New Breed. It's very helpful to know more than one take on the same overall idea.

Plus, Time Functioning Patterns has a jazz/swing section. 0.o

There is no clear cut answer.

A big part is the singing and the systems that are somewhat different to what you think you'll generally play offer a lot in terms of balance and control.

I've generally done the first part, but I also make my own systems, of course. It's a bunch of reading pages. You can use them for anything.

Second time I went through it I started with the last system and went backwards.

As general guide of how things usually progress in a drum method Gary's order makes sense.

Thanks guys. I haven't really done the singing portion of it, but it sounds like it is important, I will add it to my practicing. I'll add Time Functioning Patterns to my list of future training material...

You can do that book any way you want according to your interests and goals, that said if you have clearly your interests and goals.

If you have this book since 3 weeks that means to me you are very young or very new to playing (since I have it for over 30 years for example), then what YOU THINK are your interests and goals might not be clear or correct because it is very difficult to understand drumming and music and what do you have to do to advance from the perspective of a beginner.

The advise is get THE BEST teacher possible.

Anyway, I recommend Time Functioning Patterns as well as New Breed. It's very helpful to know more than one take on the same overall idea.

Plus, Time Functioning Patterns has a jazz/swing section. 0.o

I knew the Time Functioning Patterns book pretty well when I wrote my own book Time Manipulation (I remember giving a draft copy of my book to Gary Chaffee at the start of the 90's).
Also, when writing my own, I had worked on The New Breed and was working on The New Breed II, so I have a good perspective on these books.

I would also recommend my own book as another "take on the same overall idea".
It isn't meant to replace the others, but it is easier to grasp, and you will find many contents that you won't find in the others.
And if you use mine for teaching, it is going to really facilitate your work, as it can be used with students having only basic reading abilities.

See reviews of my Time Manipulation book here

You can do that book any way you want according to your interests and goals, that said if you have clearly your interests and goals.

If you have this book since 3 weeks that means to me you are very young or very new to playing (since I have it for over 30 years for example), then what YOU THINK are your interests and goals might not be clear or correct because it is very difficult to understand drumming and music and what do you have to do to advance from the perspective of a beginner.

The advise is get THE BEST teacher possible.

Actually, I'm getting close to 50 and have been playing since my teens ;) I just have never advanced my drumming education since high school marching band. In any case, you could say I'm a newbie when it comes to some of this stuff. Getting a teacher would be great, I think I will do that sooner than later.

I knew the Time Functioning Patterns book pretty well when I wrote my own book Time Manipulation (I remember giving a draft copy of my book to Gary Chaffee at the start of the 90's).
Also, when writing my own, I had worked on The New Breed and was working on The New Breed II, so I have a good perspective on these books.

I would also recommend my own book as another "take on the same overall idea".
It isn't meant to replace the others, but it is easier to grasp, and you will find many contents that you won't find in the others.
And if you use mine for teaching, it is going to really facilitate your work, as it can be used with students having only basic reading abilities.

See reviews of my Time Manipulation book here

Thanks Alain, I will check out your book!

Back