Purchasing a kit on Monday any last minute thoughts?

Spiney

On Monday I'll be buying my first new drum set ever. All others have been used. I'm buying a Ludwig Fab-4 kit shell pack that was marked down from $17XX to $1200, and now $490.00

I've checked the web and other stores and this appears to be a real great deal. I will be selling my Premier kit with it's matching hardware so I will need some hardware. I picked up 2 double braced straight stands and (1) double braced boom stand all Ludwig, all great condition for only $75 last night. I'll still need a HH, Snare Stand, and BD Pedal.

When getting a new kit is it customary to have the shop tune the drums? Should I take the boxes if they have them? Are there any bargaining tips or something I should see if they will throw in if I buy the shell pack and the hardware at the same time? One thing I was going to ask is if they would cut in a proper port for the BD.

Possibly this is so low they have no wiggle room. But I do know it is new, and it has been sitting there for quite some time, and they have another one on the floor.

One last question. This is a large drum shop for the area. They won't take my kit on trade but they will set it up in their used / consignment area. Is it a good idea to try that, or best to just put them on Craig's list and sell them myself. I'm under orders from my wife to sell them fast to pay for the new ones. Thanks for any replies. Spiney

that does sound like a good deal for a brand new kit like that.

when i got my new kit recently the store tuned the heads for me and installed an o-ring port that i bought from them. that's not too much to ask.

Should I take the boxes if they have them?
Yes. If you have space to store them. Use them when you move or sell the drums.

One thing I was going to ask is if they would cut in a proper port for the BD.
Good idea.

They won't take my kit on trade but they will set it up in their used / consignment area. Is it a good idea to try that, or best to just put them on Craig's list and sell them myself. I'm under orders from my wife to sell them fast to pay for the new ones. Thanks for any replies. Spiney
Ask store rep if you can do both and if you owe commission if you sell them via CL.

Sounds like you have already DONE the deal,and seeing that they have discounted it a few times i dont see to much more wiggle room,but hit them with it,after all it is a buyers market..............As for your HH,Snare stand,and Bass footboard,Since its a big store,ask the manager to give you his best markdown on the 3,Check Ludwigs prices on them so you know whats going on.....I would for sure Grab the boxes!!!! If you ever sell them,they are nice to keep for shipping???.............Ive done my own bass drum port,not sure where i saw it You tube i think,Do i search.I heated a empty coffee can.Worked like a charm............As far as consignment,just know you are only going to get half,than if you sell them yourself............. Good luck,and show us pics when you get them!!!!!!!

I always have had luck getting extras when I buy a kit by saying "I only want to buy the kit today if I can leave the store with everything I need, and I only have "x" to spend. can you make that happen?" the shop might have a used stand or even a stand that came with another kit that somebody didn't take that they can give you for free or no cost. Alot of times shops take in hardware on trades and then just sell the shell pack so they have inventory that didn't cost them any money.

The last kit I bought I had them throw in a RIMS mount and a 13" hardshell case for one of the toms because I didn't have a case in that size, and I was leaving for tour in a few days so I needed everything ready for tour. They had no problems setting me up before I left and didn't charge me for the case or the rims.

I wouldn't bother with consignment because the shop might use your consignment as a bargaining chip to get you to spend more money than you want to. I have never had a problem selling things on craigslist as long as they are reasonably priced. Search your kit on ebay for completed auctions, look around on craigslist for similar kits, if you price it right you will sell it pretty quick. Just remember everybody HAS to haggle on craigslist so leave yourself a little wiggle room on their price if you want to move it fast.

I always have had luck getting extras when I buy a kit by saying "I only want to buy the kit today if I can leave the store with everything I need, and I only have "x" to spend. can you make that happen?"

Thanks, thats a great way to put it, and it's true! Thank you everyone for the replies. I don't really have rooms for the boxes assembled, but I figure I can break them down, and re-assemble if I ever want to sell or ship. I'll post a pic when I get them. Spiney

Well I got the kit today. I picked up only the Shell pack for now until I can raise some money by selling my premier kit. I did get them to cut in a port and put the ring around it for free. Looking around the net I did pretty good for $499 for the Shell pack for the Fab-4 kit. I've never bought new hardware before and was kind of shell shocked at the price of HH stands, Snare Stands, and BD pedals. Used kits with hardware are really such a bargain. I loved the Pearl Chain Drive HH stand. Sooo Smooth. Need to raise some cash they are selling it for $180.00. A sanre stand will set me back another $150, and $150-300 for a BD pedal. Definitely going to keep my eye out for used. Though the Pearl lifetime warranty seemed like a good deal. If you in the Central PA area or not I highly recommend Drums etc in Lancaster, PA. That's where I bought it. Spiney

Back