Promark TB4 alternative?

Mr Farkle

Apparently the TB4 is no longer available. Not sure what’s going on with that, but I’m going to need a suitable replacement. The TB4 were Promark’s “heavy” gauge wire brush. I have regular brushes a plenty, but discovered that the heavier gauge is good for songs that have a lot of articulated brush work, like Neal Hefti’s Cute.

Thanks for any advice.

Ironically, I just got an email from them asking if I was a brush user and to take their brush survey. I can't find it so I think I accidentally deleted it!

The Vic Firth Jazz Wire Brush (Model WB-White Plastic Handle) has a pretty thick gauge. Vic says it's medium gauge on thier website, but I find it it to be on the heavier side. I think it's way too heavy and loud for light jazz, so I think it's ironically named. Most jazz players that use Vic use the Heritage Brush (Model HB-Purple Rubber Handle)

I know the Jeff Hamilton signature Regal Tip brush had thick, heavy gauge wire. He is now with Innovative Percussion, and it looks like his signature brush with them is also made of stiff, heavy gauge wire. Those are the two heaviest and "loudest" wire brushes I have ever used. To clarify, I own the Regal Tip Hamiltons, but I have not used the Innovative Hamiltons. I would imagine they are virtually identical.

Last edited:
Ironically, I just got an email from them asking if I was a brush user and to take their brush survey. I can't find it so I think I accidentally deleted it!

The Vic Firth Jazz Wire Brush (Model WB-White Plastic Handle) has a pretty thick gauge. Vic says it's medium gauge on thier website, but I find it it to be on the heavier side. I think it's way too heavy and loud for light jazz, so I think it's ironically named. Most jazz players that use Vic use the Heritage Brush (Model HB-Purple Rubber Handle)

I know the Jeff Hamilton signature Regal Tip brush had thick, heavy gauge wire. He is now with Innovative Percussion, and it looks like his signature brush with them is also made of stiff, heavy gauge wire. Those are the two heaviest and "loudest" wire brushes I have ever used. To clarify, I own the Regal Tip Hamiltons, but I have not used the Innovative Hamiltons. I would imagine they are virtually identical.
Jeff Hamilton was my inspiration for heavier brushes, but honestly, I’m trying to avoid obscure products. I get used to them and then they vaporize. That’s something that I learned during the Covid shortages. I’m going to pick up a pair of the Vic Firths.

I’m grateful for your reply. I would have never known that the Vic Firth “jazz” was on the heavy side. Thank you.

The TB4 were Promark’s “heavy” gauge wire brush.
The range went from TB3 (lightest) to TB6 (heaviest). The 4 was just a smidge heavier than the 3. So there’s no need to seek out an extra heavy wire set, nor pick anything that might be “too loud” for a jazz gig. The TB4 was a jazz brush with just a bit more oomph, not like a rock or loud country brush.

The range went from TB3 (lightest) to TB6 (heaviest). The 4 was just a smidge heavier than the 3. So there’s no need to seek out an extra heavy wire set, nor pick anything that might be “too loud” for a jazz gig. The TB4 was a jazz brush with just a bit more oomph, not like a rock or loud country brush.
Ah good to know! Thank you.

I use BrushFire as my standard brush. They are a very light gauge so a slightly heavier than “normal” would probably feel heavy to me.

(Using BrushFire as my standard brush kind of goes against what I said above about buying obscure products, but Revival here in Portland has been selling them for years and I really like them.)

I'm currently using Vater VWTR "Wire Tap" brushes which are on the stiff side without being too heavy. They also have a "heavy" retractable wire brush that I have not tried. Having used Pro Mark TB-4, I would consider the Vater model "Wire Tap" for starters.

I'm currently using Vater VWTR "Wire Tap" brushes which are on the stiff side without being too heavy. They also have a "heavy" retractable wire brush that I have not tried. Having used Pro Mark TB-4, I would consider the Vater model "Wire Tap" for starters.
I have a couple of pair of the wiretap wood handle brushes! I like them. They’re a little front heavy, but a good alternative. I just found the TB4 to be more articulate and balanced.

I have a couple of pair of the wiretap wood handle brushes! I like them. They’re a little front heavy, but a good alternative. I just found the TB4 to be more articulate and balanced.
Wood handled models tend to be front heavy. I never quite took to them, due to the lightness of the wood, especially the Regal wood handled model.

I don´t know if Rohema is available in your part of the world but the JB2 is pretty identical to the TB4. Same handle anyway, the wires are a tad softer than the TB4.

I don´t know if Rohema is available in your part of the world but the JB2 is pretty identical to the TB4. Same handle anyway, the wires are a tad softer than the TB4.

Thank you. Unfortunately they are not readily available here.

Back