Premier Genista Question

jasondog3

Recently, I ordered a Premier Genista through a local drum shop in USA. I got the birch version of Genista.

When the drums arrived at the shop, they were fitted with the ISO mounts. The Premier website says that the ISO is for maple shells not the birch.

It makes me wonder if what I ordered was not actually birch, but maple.

However, I saw a recent Youtube video of a drum shop in UK, and they were advertising a Genista birch, and it had the ISO.

So… can someone clear up the confusion? Do some Genista birches come with the ISO? Or did they send me maple by mistake?

On the website it says, ISO on american Maple only. where are you.?

American maple shells are fitted with a new die-cast ISO mount in Diamond Chrome whilst the American birch feature the more traditional mounting upon the shell to enhance the quality of the birch shell.

I'm in Massachusetts.

The local drum store asked about this and was told that the Premier website is for UK, and that the American Distributor sometimes carries different configurations than what the website says…. I just want to be sure that i'm getting the Birch.

Hi

I think if you orderd a Birch kit, you got a Birch kit.
I Had a talk with a Prem rep not to long a go i a shop that had numberous genista kits on display. Both Maple and birch versions had iso mounts.
The story as he told me is that all genistas produced the last year or so all have iso mounts, birch and maple.
Before that maple versions came with iso, and the birch came with virgin toms, and loose tom mount bracets so that the buyer had to drill and mount the hardware to the shell themselves.

I think prem figured out that they just could supply all kits with iso so that people would have more options. The tom bracket is the same, it's just monted to a iso mount. If the customer wants to have the bracets mounted direct to the shell, they just have to take them off the iso mounts, and drill the shell.
I don't think the premier web site is all up to date with that info.

T

Ask dancincrow, a member here who is the US Premier rep.

I bought a 2013 Genista Birch kit and the toms were undrilled and furnished with ISO mounts. There is no doubt that this kit is birch, not Maple. I have two other Premier maple kits. This birch is distinct, clear and cutting. The kit is made in their Taiwan factory,however, the fit, lacquer finish and tone of all 4 drums was beyond my expectation. Do not think that just because this is made offshore that's it's not first class. The Premier quality is there. It is just as nice as my British made Premier kits. They produced a ton of these kits, and par for Premier some of the US options are a bit fickle. ISO vs shell mount. But nobody is perfect. I've seen a lot of posts asking, if these kits are so good why are they being sold at low dollar prices. Probably competition, but even if you pay $1000 for a four piece Genista you've still got a bargain. Lastly, I hate to admit it but I prefer this Genista kit to my Signia Marquis kit which cost 4x as much.

I got this response from a Premier USA rep:

"There are slight differences between what Premier sells internationally and what we choose to buy for the US Market. We order all Genistas with ISO mounts due to the fact that ISO systems are more in demand currently than the standard more traditional bracket mounted directly to the shell."

I got this response from a Premier USA rep:

"There are slight differences between what Premier sells internationally and what we choose to buy for the US Market. We order all Genistas with ISO mounts due to the fact that ISO systems are more in demand currently than the standard more traditional bracket mounted directly to the shell."

Can you to shed some light on this kit? The kit was originally purchased in 7/99. I was told that its called the "Gold Top" kit do to the color being similar to the guitar finish of the same color. I also have the sales tags from the original purchase. I was also told that its 1 of 50 made in this finish. I've emailed Premier multiple time with no response.

The sizes are 8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 13x16, 18x22 and a 5.5x14 snare.

It would be nice to get a response from someone from Premier!

Attachments

• 20160403_125625-2.jpg
    20160403_125625-2.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 649
  • 20160403_082539.jpg
    20160403_082539.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 694
  • 20160403_082724-2.jpg
    20160403_082724-2.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 599
Unfortunately Premier are unlikely to respond as the company has broadly ceased functioning in terms of making kits (still do orchestral and marching gear). There are a few new endorsers but I suspect they're using old stock drums as there aren't any distributors or shops selling the kits any more.

The Gold Top drums were a limited run of 50 kits made for Drum Center, if I remember correctly. They're called Gold Top as the colour is very similar to the Gibson colour used on Les Paul guitars. Other than that they're exactly the same as other Genista kits of the period.

Back