Poll: What most affects a snare's sound?

Which aspects of a snare drum's construction have the most significant affect on its sound?

• Shell thickness

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Shell material

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Shell diameter and depth

Votes: 44 40.0%
  • Bearing edges

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Number and weight of lugs

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Hoop type and material

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • Heads

Votes: 82 74.5%
  • Snare wire material and number of strands

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
Voted heads first then realized it’s a multiple vote thing, then I went for diameter/depth because we know how much diameter affects pitch.

Then shell material.

Looks like everyone else was thinking the same.

The air quality
Holy Crap, You Are Right. I noticed it the past few days. I have my kit in my finished basement where I just play as a Retirement Hobby about 1 hour a day. The past few days, the heat in the house has been less used. When it's on, the basement which has some exposed heating pipes, will bring the temps to about 76 in the basement. With the heat off, the temps will drop to 70 or lower. When I went to play that day, I said to myself, These drums sound like Crap?? I had to play with the tuning (which I do too much of anyway). Then on another day, the drums sounded better - the temp in the room was higher. It's a finished basement (insulated ceilings and walls including the walls to the built in Garage), but can still get a damp coolness to the air. The air quality/ Temp affected the Sound! Live and Learn!

Believe it or not besides heads hoops make a huge difference in my experience. Every snare I have had the last few years that sounded like garbage or was very hard to tune became much easier to tune and sounded much much better after adding S-hoops to the batter side. I swear by them and if you combine a S-hoop with an Aquarian Grey reflector series batter? oh my it sounds sooo much better.

Back