please help with choice for drumming exams

hello everybody
please help me to choose something to perform at a drumming exam.
first piece is something for a snare drum,
and second piece for a whole drum kit.
both pieces should have a transcription.
but if you have something that doesnt have any transcription, let me know anyway.

so can you please help suggesting what to choose if i say
i like ringo starr and charlie watts most of all.

also i like mitch mitchell, james brown drummers, 70s, 80s drummers,
joe english, denny seiwel, chad smith.

i dont like drum stars like weckl, dont like fusion etc
but i like doubles, rudiments, syncopation, rolls,
i like old early jazz drum elements, but dont like jazz music.
for example i like funk beat like

donald byrd - you and music

and btw here is me playing drums

for the snare thing, I would look at the Wilcoxin 150 Rudimental Solos book. It has a ton of short solos that many people use for auditions/tests etc

What kind of exam and which "level" is expected? I would ask the teachers that examine you for recommendations. Choose something that is not too hard because you might be nervous - better play something a bit slower but with precision and good tone than rushing through something you can't play perfectly.
Is the drum set piece supposed to be a song with a playalong MP3 or do they want to hear a solo piece?

If you like doubles the Charley Wilcoxin piece called "Rolling in Rhythm" is a good one from his classic book of 'modern rudimental swing solos'.

Like Swissward said, depends on the exam.(I bet you have more info than stated?)-entrance exam? Certification? Already admitted and its your first performance exam?

If the exam does not have established parameters question the validity of the instruction.

We could help select pieces but I doubt our opinion is valid unless we know the parameters.

Reflecting the documented guidelines should go a long way to showing your competence as a student/learner...one of the more important aspects should this be an entrance exam for some form of education.

thanks everyone, I want to explain why I am asking this question
its not about the type of the exam or anything like that.
the reason is I want to find good stuff to play, stuff
in a form of a solo. i
know about wilcoxon book, and some other books but
the stuff there is not what I like.
I wanted to tell about my preferences and ask if there are any solos I am not aware of.

snare drum solo I want to be something with a lot of funky sounding rudiments, old jazz rudiments,
with lots of syncopation, rolls, doubles, triplets

The reason i just dont know if there is something that great in a form of a solo for a snare and a solo for a kit.

Because what i found out its hard to find
something to play when it comes to solos.

thanks everyone, I want to explain why I am asking this question
its not about the type of the exam or anything like that.
the reason is I want to find good stuff to play, stuff
in a form of a solo. i
know about wilcoxon book, and some other books but
the stuff there is not what I like.
I wanted to tell about my preferences and ask if there are any solos I am not aware of.

snare drum solo I want to be something with a lot of funky sounding rudiments, old jazz rudiments,
with lots of syncopation, rolls, doubles, triplets
Alright, so you mostly want to play them yourself and learn some rhythms like above?
A lot of it reminded me of funky New Orleans stuff. I guess you will like this book and the two Stanton Moore books. They have some playalongs but no real "drum set solos". However, you could treat some of the second line songs as solos, too. Maybe also have a look at some older Jazz drummers like Baby Dodds or Gene Krupa - there should be some transcriptions online.
You could also use the Wilcoxon solos and add 2 and 4 on the hi hat. The bass drum could switch between 1 and 3, four on the floor, a baiao rhythm, following the accents or filling in some gaps. Steve Smith demonstrates this concept here:
I hope this helps. I'm sure that there are some fitting books with drum set solos, but I don't know any. :)

Hello i wanted to thank you, i didnt know this New orleans stuff is played this way on a snare.
I dont know if it helps me, but its great you shared this. Thank a lot!

At least, there should be some nice patterns that you can combine on your own. I guess lots of the stuff you posted could be created by placing some accents on toms and such. You can of course just pick one or two bars from a Wilcoxon solo and see what you can get out of it. Best of luck!

Back