Playing with Stuffed Toys

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I've noticed some are professionals when it comes to puppets and stuffed toys. My toddler likes to play with stuffed toys around my drumset. I wonder if there are any good tricks.

Of course I worry about those little ears, but my living room kit is small and consists mostly of small percussion and a 16" bass. If she goes into the attic when I play the big kit, I make her wear ear protection.

So, far she likes to perch her stuffed toys various places on the kit. She seems to like samba type grooves very much. Sometimes she will start singing the ostinato bass when she wants to play, Chi da doh .. chi da doh. Once I played the maracu bell pattern with one hand and bobbled the teddy bear with the other, tong ting tong ting toti Tito ting, which has become sort of a signal for dancing and having fun between the two of us.

I must admit, I always thought I was pretty good at playing, but I have trouble keeping up. She will do this all day. I think the one thing that is kind of annoying is she has no control, if I give her a drum stick or mallet watch out, she has my ear protection. I think this will improve she just doesn't have the coordination yet.

Aww this sounds like some pretty adorable bonding time! She may have gotten bit by the drumming bug early. Wonderful

My 18 month old grandson loves drums too. He doesn't really talk yet, but every time he's at our house he holds his arms up to be picked up, then points to the drum room until I take him back to play.

My 18 month old grandson loves drums too. He doesn't really talk yet, but every time he's at our house he holds his arms up to be picked up, then points to the drum room until I take him back to play.

My daughter is 19 months. She just started talking. For a while that is all she wanted to do. She learns so fast, amazing.

Does he have a good technique? It is difficult to explain to a toddler, these are drums you can hit them, this is a coffee table don't hit it.

Back