Playing the shell

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Is playing the shell, a nice drum foul? My export series tom shell sounds great in cascara patterns. Both the shell itself and the lugs, which run the full length of the shell, but the shell is louder. The shell isn't anything special, it had some dings and scuffs when I received it.

Nope. It is only bad if you care about not dinging your shell.

If they are your drums then I think that is your call. Now if you were to do that on someone else's drum shell, that might be a different story. I have played the kick drum hoop myself.

Yeah, I can't wait to try out a set of Guru Drums and play a solo on the shells.........

Yeah, I can't wait to try out a set of Guru Drums and play a solo on the shells.........

Hahaha, export : guru. Worlds apart!

I wouldn't do it myself but I'm a bit OCD with my drums, no reason not to if you're not worried about the wear and tear.

I know for sure I don't want anyone playing on my shells............

Zw41-vi.jpg

And that is why I will never have graphics on my shells.

Only when jamming - never done it when being "serious". The Guru shells sound pretty good if I try faux cascara style. The wood rims have a nice resonance too - I play the rim (as opposed to rimshot) in a couple of songs.

Only when jamming - never done it when being "serious". The Guru shells sound pretty good if I try faux cascara style. The wood rims have a nice resonance too - I play the rim (as opposed to rimshot) in a couple of songs.
For those wishing to avail themselves of satisfying woody goodness, as above, we have hoops especially provided for that purpose :)

I play the insides of the shells.

Haga!

Actually, I think it's cool when the drummer has enough security to play the shells. They are not what you would call a commanding sound. A whisper can be just as effective as a shout.

I play on the tension rods (don't really want to hit the wood). I wish someone made something that attaches to the floor tom that can be hit and duplicate that sound..

I play on the tension rods (don't really want to hit the wood). I wish someone made something that attaches to the floor tom that can be hit and duplicate that sound..

The long/high tension lugs seem to work pretty well, not quite as loud as the shell itself. The metal tension lugs finish shouldn't be a problem, I was kind of wondering about the shell itself through the lug, but I suppose it wouldn't be much worse than having a drum attached to the shell, and hitting that. I guess I might miss occasionally.

Back