Pipe Band?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
So, funny story...

I was warming up for a gig yesterday, in my storage unit, where I practice and keep my kit. I opened up the door to get ready to leave and there was a dude standing there. He just handed me a card. Apparently he's in a Pipe Band and asked me if I'd like to come and join them as a snare drummer. Ha!

I work on rudiments pretty religiously and have learned a bunch of snare solos, but I have never been in any type of marching band like this. I think this would be a great chopsbuilding opportunity and help my playing on the kit, a lot, but I'm not sure I'd fit very well.

I don't play traditional grip, either. Would I have no choice? I'd pretty much be starting from scratch, if that were the case.

Anyone out there in DW-land doing this type of thing? Fill me in! :)

It's in my early background and it holds the "secrets" to my own unique approach to playing the kit as a jazz drummer as well as other important early snare drum influences in the mix too like Old School Swiss Basel drumming.

WHOLE other world of thinking of a certain rudimental approach and ways of musical phrasing, dynamics and syncopation in this "swinging" style of snare drumming from Scotland.

Check it out for sure! :}

Swinging syncopated example from the master on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RTskyRd8c

So, funny story...

I was warming up for a gig yesterday, in my storage unit, where I practice and keep my kit. I opened up the door to get ready to leave and there was a dude standing there. He just handed me a card. Apparently he's in a Pipe Band and asked me if I'd like to come and join them as a snare drummer. Ha!

I work on rudiments pretty religiously and have learned a bunch of snare solos, but I have never been in any type of marching band like this. I think this would be a great chopsbuilding opportunity and help my playing on the kit, a lot, but I'm not sure I'd fit very well.

I don't play traditional grip, either. Would I have no choice? I'd pretty much be starting from scratch, if that were the case.

I've often wondered about that, if there are marching snare drummers who play matched grip. It seems that they'd need a special way to carry the drum so that it isn't tilted so much, no?

So, funny story...

Can't hurt to check it out. Don't be afraid, take it as an opportunity to learn something completely different. Those guys can play...

I've often wondered about that, if there are marching snare drummers who play matched grip. It seems that they'd need a special way to carry the drum so that it isn't tilted so much, no?

Yep, this would be a show-stopper for me. It's not about being "afraid", really. I have no reason to learn trad. grip now, nor am I really interested in it. There are just too many other things to learn and too many other goals I'd like to pursue instead.

Thanks for the vid, Stan! I'll check it out when I get home.

It's in my early background and it holds the "secrets" to my own unique approach to playing the kit as a jazz drummer as well as other important early snare drum influences in the mix too like Old School Swiss Basel drumming.

WHOLE other world of thinking of a certain rudimental approach and ways of musical phrasing, dynamics and syncopation in this "swinging" style of snare drumming from Scotland.

Check it out for sure! :}

Swinging syncopated example from the master on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RTskyRd8c

Indeed, Stan, Jim may be the Master, but never forget the Maestro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW39X9Rh_78&feature=related

:)

Yep, this would be a show-stopper for me. It's not about being "afraid", really. I have no reason to learn trad. grip now, nor am I really interested in it. There are just too many other things to learn and too many other goals I'd like to pursue instead.

Thanks for the vid, Stan! I'll check it out when I get home.

Just jump in and check it out and experience it for what it's worth without any heavy commitment at this point......or better put, just treat it as another adventure to add to the possible musical influence pot :}

Don't forget to check out several of the other Jim Kilpatrick clips on the right later too. Pretty eye opening inspiring stuff!

Not to worry, it's not a deal killer zambizzi. A quick google came up with this.

Indeed, Stan, Jim may be the Master, but never forget the Maestro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW39X9Rh_78&feature=related

:)

Yes indeed Boomka!...and one of the biggest thrills in my life to date was getting his autograph courtesy of another master on the subject my old teacher John Fisher who played under the direction of Alex with Jim Kilpatrick at his side in the Shott's and Dykehead Pipe Band well he was studying with the "Maestro" himself in Scotland .

Legendary Alex Duthart footage from his LA drum clinic on the execution and use of drags in Scottish Pipe Band drumming. Check out the other parts of the clinic as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_krvdvAKz0&feature=related

Back