Packing cymbals for moving

JimmyM

Diamond Member
Got 5 cymbals and 2 sets of hi hats that need to get from Fla to NC in a moving van. Biggest is 21”. What’s a decent case I could snag for not much money? I see these Zildjian safes used for fairly cheap on Reverb. Will they hold that many? Also, should I stick foam rubber sheets between them or will they be ok?

just get a big box
throw a blanket in first
then get a drum stick
to stick in the center of all the holes
so they don't shift around
and cross each other
(I use old hi hat clutches
9 cymbals a hi hat clutch won't be long enough
old thin towels with hole cut in center in-between a few of the main simbols

Sounds more sensible than buying something expensive.

How thin are your drumsticks @jda ?! :oops:They’ll be fine wrapped in towels or bubble wrap in a decent box @JimmyM …second hand cymbal bags (protection racket are great) are the way to go if you’re saving pennies… :) (y) All the best with the move!

I would go to a thrift store and buy the biggest cheapest quilt I can. Lay it down flat and fold it in half. Put the biggest cymbal down first toward the edge and flip it over once with the quilt, lay the next cymbal down and repeat. Keep doing this until you basically have them all wrapped up in a big bundle and tape the crap out of it. Should get there just fine.

For anything 18" or less pizza boxes and bubble wrap work well also.

I would go to a thrift store and buy the biggest cheapest quilt I can. Lay it down flat and fold it in half. Put the biggest cymbal down first toward the edge and flip it over once with the quilt, lay the next cymbal down and repeat. Keep doing this until you basically have them all wrapped up in a big bundle and tape the crap out of it. Should get there just fine.

For anything 18" or less pizza boxes and bubble wrap work well also.
I like that advice. We actually have plenty of quilts and blankets already. Got two days to finish packing, and we’re almost done. Drums are in boxes, cymbals aren’t. But I could probably wrap that up quick.

Thx for the advice folks!

Back