"P.D.LU." stamped on old Paiste Stambul?

jasyr

I have a 16" Stambul crash, and on the underside edge has "P.D.LU." stamped on it. Anyone know what it stands for? Googled it and nothing came up...

Thanks in advance,

4Lp

Didn't Paiste used to make cymbals for Ludwig? That could be the "LU". The "P" is probably for Paiste. Maybe the "D" is for Deutsch or Deutschland? Paiste used to make some of their lower end cymbals in what was West Germany.

These are just educated guesses.

I neglected to say that the U in "LU" has the double-dot german umlaut over it. And Ludwig doesn't have the double dot...

Stamped in the metal or an ink stamp? Could it be an inventory mark for a school or university? I have an 80s Paiste that someone etched an inventory number and some sort of school band program was all I could come up with.

Last edited:
it's stamped in the metal... letters about 1cm high. That makes sense but it's a proper banged on indentation.
What school would have a metal stamp?
I'll try to put a picture up. I've never done that before.

P.D. Lüneschloss of Solingen, Germany was a sword and edged weapons manufacturer... what that might have to do with a cymbal, I don't know.

Maybe somebody playing with a stamp?

Bingo Ghostin one! That's why nothing came up when i put "P.D. Lü cymbal" in google search. It would seem it was someone was custom marking their cymbal. Thanks!

Checked out google images for P.D. Lüneschloss swords etc. and the "P.D. Lü" on my cymbal isn't used anywhere on their products... as far as lettering they do use P.D.L. here and there. Maybe someone had a stamp P.D. Lüneschloss used for their ingots or something. weird.

Maybe somebody playing with a stamp?

Now I want to find some funky looking stamps and punch them into a few cymbals.
Why? Just so in 100 years when archeologists find them among the rubble of my house they'll have a gem. :LOL:

Back