Our drummer just bought an SPD SX

U2 have for years used sequencers, midi and click tracks. Like most modern bands it's also synced to the lights and any video visuals.
Terry might play live keyboards on some songs, but a lot of U2's keyboards are repetitive sequencer type parts, also needing to keep Edge's ever present delays in time with the music. So consistency is key here.
Since it’s only a handful of songs we’re doing where we can’t cover keys parts with guitar and bass fx pedals, we are looking for other ways of doing it besides clicks and sequencing.

Back then they didn’t have one, but they do now and have for years.
Yes, but if you read backstage tech interviews going back to 1984, through the 90's, they used sequencers, and when they got the keyboard player/tech on board he was making sure the sequencers and samples all triggered correctly - then played on a few of the songs.
They had keyboard parts on the '84 tour I was on, and seemed very comfortable playing with the computer music and clicks.
Most top bands are playing with sequencers and clicks because it syncs the lights and video screens.

Yes, but if you read backstage tech interviews going back to 1984, through the 90's, they used sequencers, and when they got the keyboard player/tech on board he was making sure the sequencers and samples all triggered correctly - then played on a few of the songs.
They had keyboard parts on the '84 tour I was on, and seemed very comfortable playing with the computer music and clicks.
Most top bands are playing with sequencers and clicks because it syncs the lights and video screens.
Well when we start playing stadiums and arenas with our own PA and lights, I’ll consider it ;).

I play small venues with my SPD-SX.
Do what you want, but trying to trigger in real time (by stick hit) melodic parts or phrases of a few beats or bars, it's quickly going to turn into untimed chaos.
The SPD-SX has a fantastic link to click function.

I play small venues with my SPD-SX.
Do what you want, but trying to trigger in real time (by stick hit) melodic parts or phrases of a few beats or bars, it's quickly going to turn into untimed chaos.
The SPD-SX has a fantastic link to click function.
I think you’re right that it won’t be ideal in the middle of songs. Intros and outros should work, though, I would think. But I guess if it doesn’t, we can always switch to plan B…if we can talk each other into it ;).

Back