One into two headphone socket losing one headphone channel

Birdy

Using this connector. One output going to single speaker working fine, other one going to headphone I’m only getting sound from one ear. Tried switching the connection and other headphones, problem just the same. Is the lead faulty or have I the wrong lead?
Hi

Attachments

• AB012553-850E-444C-9F94-62532CBB0FB5.jpeg
    AB012553-850E-444C-9F94-62532CBB0FB5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Assuming that the adapter is a Y splitter, so both female jacks are stereo: you're shorting one of the channels (right) by inserting the mono male into the stereo female, since the ring (right) gets connected to the sleeve (shield).

TRRS.GIF

Test: pull the mono male and have both channels back on your headphones.

Last edited:
Yes, when plugging headphones into both sockets simultaneously I have audio in both ears, both headphones.
So I need a new speaker cable. Stereo or mono at which end though?

Using this connector. One output going to single speaker working fine, other one going to headphone I’m only getting sound from one ear. Tried switching the connection and other headphones, problem just the same. Is the lead faulty or have I the wrong lead?
Hi
What are you trying to achieve?

Last edited:
You have to plug a stereo male into the stereo female. At the other end could be two mono males for example.

41vk3BGrXhL.jpg

What are you trying to achieve? With what module?
Most modules have an aux in and headphone out so that would not be a problem. I had success connecting my device (Ipad, laptop, phone) to my module aux in and from the headphone out I use a headphone splitter, one end goes to my headphones, the other to the camera's mic in. set audio levels and voila! perfectly synched audio/video.
if you want to be more fancy get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3IEXXZWNEZ1IX&keywords=behringer+usb+mixer&qid=1654704523&sprefix=behringer+usb+mixer,aps,144&sr=8-2 (if you are not using a module that is) Of course there are better mixers such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-LiveTrak-L-8-Headphone-Interface/dp/B07YYQ93BT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=5288BSJ031M&keywords=zoom+digital+mixer&qid=1654704773&sprefix=zoom+digital+mixer,aps,297&sr=8-5
but that is a lot more $$ and maybe you would want to get the bigger version (to have room for upgrading in the future). Another route is audio interface connect your music to one input, your drums to the other use the headphone out to monitor and you also have the ability to record.

I almost forgot newer headphones sometimes have tip ring ring sleeve (which allows them to control audio/video settings on devices, if you connect one of those TRRS to a TRS you will have one headphone side not receiving audio.

but the question remains: what are you trying to achieve?

Last edited:
Back