Non flat Supraphonic

Munchdrum

I was changing the head on my 402 earlier and notice that it looked as though there was a slight dip in the rim. The dip is at the nearest point to the camera in the first pic, and the second shows a gap under it when on a flat surface.
I've never noticed the a problem with the tuning, but i wouldn't if it had been like that since new.
I bought the drum about a year and a half ago from new.
What should i do?
Sorry the pics are crap.
Cheers, Munch

Attachments

• DSCN0256.JPG
    DSCN0256.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN0259.JPG
    DSCN0259.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 399
Honestly...if the drum tunes up,and plays well..........so what.Truth be told,there are plenty of drums out there with out of round shells,and less that flat bearing edges.Especially vintage drums.If its really bothering you,contact the dealer.I could be wrong but I believe there is a three year warrantee on that drum.

Is it under the strainer/butt,or just somewhere at random?Does the drum rock back and forth?.

Steve B

If it's under the snare wires, that'll be the snare bed. If the drum still sounds good then it's a non-issue.

It's never bothered me as i've never noticed it until now.
It does rock a little when on a flat surface and it's on the batter side, no not the snare bed. I'll tune it up and have a good listen, and if it bothers me i'll call Ludwig.
Cheers

If that's on the batter side...that can't be right. It looks like the snare bed. Is there a matching one on the other side? Does that drum have snare beds in the reso side? You got that drum new? And you didn't cause the damage? Are you saying it came from the factory like that? I really can't believe these QC issues w/ this company, they're everywhere. Too late I would think for the factory to make good. I hear their customer service is pretty much non existent.

I think I would turn it over and check that side, it's possible that the strainer was put on backwards.

The more I look at it,the more it looks like a snare bed.Better ,and clearer pics would really help.Take a photo reso side down,looking directly at the strainer.

Steve B

It couldn't have been assembled with the shell upside down, because the snare butt holes wouldn't work, I thought they might have done that. Unless they drilled it upside down too. That's just wacky.

It's definitely not the snare bed. I've had the reso head off before, and the snare bed is clearly defined, whereas this is a much more subtle dip and only on one side.

Update, I've checked it on a surface that i'm fairly sure is flat and there is a definate dip of about 2mm over a length of about 150mm, it really looks like a snare bed on the batter side. I've checked the reso side, which has the snare beds.
I've tuned up the drum with old and new heads, and however i tune it, it sounds like the drum chokes. At each lug it sounds good, but when I hit the middle of the head it is completely dead with no ring.
I would normally take it back to the shop I bought it from, but it has since shut down. Is there anywhere i can take it in the tunbridge wells area?
Cheers guys

Have you looked at it with both heads off?

Ludwig tends to use relatively wide and deep snare beds, and so on the snare side, it'll take a bit of tension on the lugs near the snare beds to tune the bottom head. You'll probably notice that the bottom hoop doesn't sit perfectly flat, either. Now, with the batter head off, but the snare side still tuned, it wouldn't surprise me that the tension from the bottom hoop was able to twist the shell a little.

If you hadn't had any issues playing and tuning the drum in the past, I'd bet you shouldn't have any now.

I've taken both heads off and it does seem slightly better. I'll try tuning up the batter head without the reso on and see how it sounds.
Cheers Soupy

I've just tuned up the drum with just the batter head on and its made no difference, at each lug it sounds great, very open with lots of ring, but when i hit the middle it is completely flat. Does anyone know how i can contact ludwig (preferably in the uk) to try and sort it?
Thanks, Callum

Back