Newbie Q. Strike Pro SE or TD-17KVX2?

Having been down that road I would counsel against booking a practice room or rehearsal space.
For many years I haven't had a space of my own to practice. Booking a room is IMO expensive. The hassle of transporting drums then setting them up gets old very quickly. You are also locked in to your booking, whether you are in the mood or not.
If I have something at home I am much more likely to practice. If I'm not feeling it in the morning I can take a break and start up again in the afternoon. I can practice whenever I want at a moment's notice.
If the OP buys an e-kit at a reasonable discount (used or ex demo) they can sell it on without losing too much money down the line.
Hearing nice electronic kit sounds, maybe mixed in with some music you want to play along to, is a much more motivating scenario than booking a rehearsal space.

Complete set up, ready to go, for £600. This is absolutely fine for a beginner:

Thanks for the advice. ...at PMT they said their best seller and starting point for a beginner is the Roland TD-17KVX2 which is around £1700 😊

Anyone would think someone is trying to make some commission.... ;)

A beginner doesn't need to spend more than round £500ish 2nd user/£1000ish new. Just avoid entry level kits that aren't particularly expandable as you grow. I'll happily gig a £500 kit. (and I've been gigging edrums since 1986... and doing "hybrid" since about 1981...)

Chris Whitten makes a good point about resale, should you decide to upgrade or discontinue playing down the road. Roland kits tend to hold their value fairly well, especially if you buy a used kit in good-to-excellent condition. When I decided to go back to playing an acoustic kit after years of playing an e-kit, I sold off my Roland gear piece by piece. It took me only 3 days to get rid of everything because there were so many drummers looking for specific components rather than an entire kit.

After thinking about it a bit, an e-kit is probably better than an acoustic kit conversion for someone starting out.
When you're trying to learn something, taking on too many other side projects might make you lose focus,
and be too much of a distraction.

Hello all, Thank you for all your thoughtful replies. After a family bereavement at the start of the year I took a few days off thinking about the drum kit and then I saw a fantastic deal on a new e-kit and took the plunge... Excuse the decor we're about to have the place rewired and it wasn't worth decorating. Just imagine you're in the 1970s! 😄

After spending many, many hours assembling it I've managed to have a little play and I have to say it's absolutely fantastic. I have absolutely no rhythm but hopefully this time next year I'll have reached become competent enough to have played a song or two at the local pub's jam session!

No doubt I will come back and pester you all on how to use the brain to get the best sounds - despite the price it doesn't sound as good out of the box as the Yamaha but I believe it can be configured to surpass the Yamaha samples (I'm sure that statement will start a war!).

First question about this setup... I bought the pedal used and cannot get it to lock onto the bass drum. The cam system doesn't seem to work so if anyone has any ideas how to attach it without resorting to super glue let me know.

Second question, how are you supposed to get the left pedal, the hi-hat pedal and the snare stand together - they all want to be in the same space?!

Third question... Despite the cost of the kit, the snare stand was from the person who sold me the pedals and I wonder if the rod is a bit short? It's not like the hi-hat stands you see in the shops.

Thanks again everyone, your comments were very helpful. 😊

Attachments

• PXL_20240117_220012313~2.jpg
    PXL_20240117_220012313~2.jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 17
It looks like you have made the space too small. get rid of the boxes on the right. Then move the drums to the right, open out the left arm of the rack. Space between hi-hat pedal and snare stand is always a compromise, but to me it looks like your hi-hat needs to be a few inches away from the snare. Also, I think people generally have the brain at the end of the rack, after the hi-hat, so the hi-hat would be level with the snare and the brain would be just above the rack leg.

Hello all, Thank you for all your thoughtful replies. After a family bereavement at the start of the year I took a few days off thinking about the drum kit and then I saw a fantastic deal on a new e-kit and took the plunge... Excuse the decor we're about to have the place rewired and it wasn't worth decorating. Just imagine you're in the 1970s! 😄

After spending many, many hours assembling it I've managed to have a little play and I have to say it's absolutely fantastic. I have absolutely no rhythm but hopefully this time next year I'll have reached become competent enough to have played a song or two at the local pub's jam session!

No doubt I will come back and pester you all on how to use the brain to get the best sounds - despite the price it doesn't sound as good out of the box as the Yamaha but I believe it can be configured to surpass the Yamaha samples (I'm sure that statement will start a war!).

First question about this setup... I bought the pedal used and cannot get it to lock onto the bass drum. The cam system doesn't seem to work so if anyone has any ideas how to attach it without resorting to super glue let me know.

Second question, how are you supposed to get the left pedal, the hi-hat pedal and the snare stand together - they all want to be in the same space?!

Third question... Despite the cost of the kit, the snare stand was from the person who sold me the pedals and I wonder if the rod is a bit short? It's not like the hi-hat stands you see in the shops.

Thanks again everyone, your comments were very helpful. 😊
Nice kit!! So you enjoying it yet? So you have a double pedal and you have an issue attaching to kick? Need a close up to see what's up. The second question I assume is where to put slave pedal? The slave pedal of double kick you want beside your hi hat pedal. I'd need a close up of snare stand but looks fine from this angle. Looks like a fine start to me.

If you can't play drums and are embarking on a journey to learn to play drums I wouldn't have bought a double bass drum pedal. Arguably you'd wand to spend a year learning drumming in general, with a single bass drum.

Last edited:
If you can't play drums and are embarking to learn to pay drums I wouldn't have bought a double bass drum pedal. Arguably you'd wand to spend a year learning drumming in general, with a single bass drum.
I'd agree with that too. Really unless you're wanting to play progressive/metal that uses a lot of double pedal it's better to spend time mastering the hi hat pedal and single pedal kick. I have a double pedal but I rarely use it. I think people get too caught up with drum pedal but that's just me. But I like the challenge of trying to play fast intricate stuff with a single pedal. Here's a decade old video of me playing a Pearl Rhythm traveler kick that has this flimsy basic pedal that came with it. So using a simple pedal you can see a hobbyist can play fast and agile enough stuff. IMG_4227.jpeg

It looks like you have made the space too small. get rid of the boxes on the right. Then move the drums to the right, open out the left arm of the rack. Space between hi-hat pedal and snare stand is always a compromise, but to me it looks like your hi-hat needs to be a few inches away from the snare. Also, I think people generally have the brain at the end of the rack, after the hi-hat, so the hi-hat would be level with the snare and the brain would be just above the rack leg.
Thanks for the advice. I followed the instructions which had the brain in that position. I've moved it to the end. I will move the boxes and open it out this week. Managed to squeeze the pedals in doing this. 😊

Attachments

• PXL_20240120_151318430~2.jpg
    PXL_20240120_151318430~2.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 5
Nice kit!! So you enjoying it yet? So you have a double pedal and you have an issue attaching to kick? Need a close up to see what's up. The second question I assume is where to put slave pedal? The slave pedal of double kick you want beside your hi hat pedal. I'd need a close up of snare stand but looks fine from this angle. Looks like a fine start to me.
Thanks for this. I will post a close up tomorrow.
I love the kit. It is absolutely brilliant. And I'm still on the stock sounds. I have moved things about a bit but I think I need to learn the single pedal before I start pretending I'm in a thrash metal band! 😂

If you can't play drums and are embarking on a journey to learn to play drums I wouldn't have bought a double bass drum pedal. Arguably you'd wand to spend a year learning drumming in general, with a single bass drum.
I completely agree. I got a great deal on the kit and was looking on Facebook marketplace for the other things and this double pedal was the only pedal locally. The guy I bought it from said it was overkill and I planned to not fit the second pedal while I learn but I just thought I'd have a mess about with it first - great fun! 😄

I'd agree with that too. Really unless you're wanting to play progressive/metal that uses a lot of double pedal it's better to spend time mastering the hi hat pedal and single pedal kick. I have a double pedal but I rarely use it. I think people get too caught up with drum pedal but that's just me. But I like the challenge of trying to play fast intricate stuff with a single pedal. Here's a decade old video of me playing a Pearl Rhythm traveler kick that has this flimsy basic pedal that came with it. So using a simple pedal you can see a hobbyist can play fast and agile enough stuff. View attachment 142821

Love the video of you playing! Really impressed. I completely agree about the pedal. It was the only one for sale locally on Facebook marketplace which is why I ended up with a double pedal. I don't plan to learn with it attached - I just wanted to have a play with it and make some noise! And what noise I made - the milk was curdled and the neighbours unexpectedly went away for the weekend! If I can play a few rock tracks in a year I'll be delighted. 😊

Excellent choice of kits there.

Don't stress out over the kick pedal. I have a double on my Roland, and I never use it. Well, I never use the left pedal that is. As stated above, there is just too much for me to learn on a single (right side) pedal and the hi hat.

Maybe one day I'll get there and the pedal will be waiting for me.

Best of luck on your drumming journey!

Steffanie, the drum kit looks nice. What model drum kit is that?
A Roland TD-27KV2. It was on offer at a local store which put it at the same price as the Alesis Strike Pro SE that I was initially considering. Everyone seemed to be of the opinion that Roland kits are superior to the Alesis so I went with the Roland and this is much more like the Alesis than the TD-17KVX2 that I was initially advised to buy in a large music store chain.

Excellent choice of kits there.

Don't stress out over the kick pedal. I have a double on my Roland, and I never use it. Well, I never use the left pedal that is. As stated above, there is just too much for me to learn on a single (right side) pedal and the hi hat.

Maybe one day I'll get there and the pedal will be waiting for me.

Best of luck on your drumming journey!
Thank you. I'm slowly learning to co-ordinate my arms and legs to produce a basic beat with the hi-hat, snare and kick pedal. It's great fun. 😊

Back