New Model Ludwig Brass Supraphonic

RogerLudwig

For your viewing pleasure in my new 6.5 x 14 lacquer-coated brass supraphonic. I know it looks a little like the bronze version, but take a good look. Its much too yellow; the bronze tends towards red.

Less than two weeks ago I went into my local shop to order the COB supra and I was disappointed to hear it doesn't come in a hammered version. Todd convinced me to order this one instead. The catalog number is LB442BKTWM and there is one currently for sale on Ebay for $599. A Ludwig rep says they didn't include it in this years catalog and there was no official launch. 4 prototypes were at the Chicago show in 2008. Only 16 have been shipped so far. The funny thing is, with the 100th badge there are no serial numbers. Not that I can find anyway. .

Anyhow, it looks killer and has a very typical brass crack and ring. Think hammered Black Beauty with slightly less ring, but just slighty. In fact, I don't think I'll even consider a Black Beauty for a long time after getting this baby.

And can you believe it. I ordered the snare two weeks ago this coming Saturday...9 days from special order to pick-up. How lucky is that?

Attachments

• lb442 oblique angle with logo.jpg
    lb442 oblique angle with logo.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 490
  • lb442 throw off side.jpg
    lb442 throw off side.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 495
  • lb442 with logo.jpg
    lb442 with logo.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
Congrats!... and thanks for the update!

That's certainly a gem.... and that new badge is growing on me. :)

Is there a new Ludwig catalog in circulation? I'm going to try to hit the local shop in the next week or two and see if I can get the scoop on an unhammered brass supra.... and hopefully check out the Cherry/Gum Element drums.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Great pick up, wow! I saw that drum on the Ludwig TV clip from the Chicago show.
Very cool!

I have the Hammered Chrome Supra and I really like it, but not as much as my BB's.... well, it's just a different drum.
I've wanted a Hammered Bronze, but that's on the back burner (again, this time it's cymbals haha!).

I just got a 6.5 Acro and it came with the 100th Anniversary badge too. That was a nice surprise. I put a P-86 on it, it's a great throw-off and it looks cool.

Man, your drum looks cool.....dang, now I want one of those too!

Well, since you now have this Brass "Beauty", it makes sense to not get a BB, other than for having a BB, for all it's sound and quality.
But, it'd basically sound 'the same', the hammering just makes the drum a little bit drier in general, and a little less ring when you play it wide open....unless you need a back-up snare and that is a perfectly legitimate reason for having 2 Brass Black Beauties. Trust me.

Have lots of fun with your new snare!!!!

I love your drum! Now I wan't one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it would make me play like Bill Stewart.

Very Nice... Ya' know now that you mention it, the bronze version does have a slightly red color compared to the yellow of brass. Either way...I love Ludwig snares...they radiate glorious essence !

Attachments

• metal snares 2009.jpg
    metal snares 2009.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 510
For your viewing pleasure in my new 6.5 x 14 lacquer-coated brass supraphonic. I know it looks a little like the bronze version, but take a good look. Its much too yellow; the bronze tends towards red.

Less than two weeks ago I went into my local shop to order the COB supra and I was disappointed to hear it doesn't come in a hammered version. Todd convinced me to order this one instead. The catalog number is LB442BKTWM and there is one currently for sale on Ebay for $599. A Ludwig rep says they didn't include it in this years catalog and there was no official launch. 4 prototypes were at the Chicago show in 2008. Only 16 have been shipped so far. The funny thing is, with the 100th badge there are no serial numbers. Not that I can find anyway. .

Anyhow, it looks killer and has a very typical brass crack and ring. Think hammered Black Beauty with slightly less ring, but just slighty. In fact, I don't think I'll even consider a Black Beauty for a long time after getting this baby.

And can you believe it. I ordered the snare two weeks ago this coming Saturday...9 days from special order to pick-up. How lucky is that?

I wish Ludwig would get it right with proper lug spacers. It looks real cheap a shoddy with the t-rods not straight. Only thing I can think is ludwig may feel the bend helps hold tuning, as these tube lugs are notorious for not holding tension. I would space the lugs and get tight-screws (google it), then you'll have a nice drum.

Back