New Heads for Gretsch Catalina Maple

I tried a couple of them. The cherry and rosewood have a beautiful finish, far more enticing than plain maple or birch.

I could have ended up with one of those beautiful sets, but I felt boxed in by the lack of add-on sizes or individual drums.

I would bet the Rosewood is awesome, toi. I would be interested to hear all of them to compare tone, but would be especially interested in the Rosewood. Acoustic Guitar players (The Martin D-28 crowd, especially) swear that Rosewood is the only wood capable of producing those dark, rich, complex tones. Toasty, almost like the finish of a 63 Chateaux Latour......

I would bet the Rosewood is awesome, toi. I would be interested to hear all of them to compare tone, but would be especially interested in the Rosewood. Acoustic Guitar players (The Martin D-28 crowd, especially) swear that Rosewood is the only wood capable of producing those dark, rich, complex tones. Toasty, almost like the finish of a 63 Chateaux Latour......

I think rosewood is my favorite of the group, cherry second.

This is a renown purewood rosewood snare.

Due to popular demand, Gretsch has released a series of Purewood Rosewood snare drums.

gretsch-purewood-rosewood-snare.jpg

“Three new Rosewood snares have been added to Gretsch’s Full Range Snare lineup. Each 9-ply, 100% Rosewood snare drum features 30-degree bearing edges, die cast hoops, 10-lugs (20-lugs on 8 x 14) and 20-strand snares. Adjustable throw-off and Evans G1 batter side with Evans clear snare side heads included.”

These are serious snares, very high quality. So if you’re planning on buying one check out the prices first…

S-514-RW 5.5 x 14 Renown Purewood Rosewood Snare Drum $770
S-6514-RW 6.5 x 14 Renown Purewood Rosewood Snare Drum $845
S-8014-RW 8 x 14 Renown Purewood Rosewood Snare Drum $925

These might just be MSRP, but they are much less money than Ludwigs AVH rosewood snare.

I think rosewood is my favorite of the group, cherry second.

This is a renown purewood rosewood snare.

Due to popular demand, Gretsch has released a series of Purewood Rosewood snare drums.

gretsch-purewood-rosewood-snare.jpg

“Three new Rosewood snares have been added to Gretsch’s Full Range Snare lineup. Each 9-ply, 100% Rosewood snare drum features 30-degree bearing edges, die cast hoops, 10-lugs (20-lugs on 8 x 14) and 20-strand snares. Adjustable throw-off and Evans G1 batter side with Evans clear snare side heads included.”

These are serious snares, very high quality. So if you’re planning on buying one check out the prices first…

S-514-RW 5.5 x 14 Renown Purewood Rosewood Snare Drum $770
S-6514-RW 6.5 x 14 Renown Purewood Rosewood Snare Drum $845
S-8014-RW 8 x 14 Renown Purewood Rosewood Snare Drum $925

These might just be MSRP, but they are much less money than Ludwigs AVH rosewood snare.

Well that is just beautiful. I am interested as to how they sound, and particularly any bass and toms they are making in Rosewood. As I recall, one reason a D-28 is so lionized by guitar players is because of the boomy resonance and projection that Rosewood produces. I wonder how that would translate into drums? I actually like my wood snare, versus the Supraphonic and Vistalite snares I played in the 1970's. They were just too sharp, loud and overbearing, IMO. I would just like to try some other woods besides Maple. Unfortunately, they carry nothing like this in Oklahoma City, and I'm sure I will have to go all the way to Dallas to even hear a set or a snare like that.

Last edited:
For all Catalina Maple owners - checkout the thread in the drum forum titled Tom Tuning. Start with post 69. I belive its on page 9 of that thread.

Back