New guy - couple of vids to start off...

bakerboy

Hey everyone...I'm new to this forum, but no stranger to Drummerworld.com. I thought I'd introduce myself with some videos I just recently made on my kit.

The kit is a mid '90's Pearl Masters set that I converted to a triggered, mesh head set and I use in combination with an Alesis Trigger IO box and Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0 samples. The cymbals are also muffled & triggered as well. So the whole kit is very neighbor friendly :)

Anyway, here are some vids of me on the kit playing along to some Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials tracks:

Groove #42-fast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68gVD5QWyPs

Groove #16-fast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwtpbhWr8Ps

Hey Chris, nice playing, gotta love the Groove Essentials playalongs.

I see you're in central florida, me too! (ocala) - it says on your Youtube page that you're a systems admin - my name's chris, and i do IT stuff too! haha....
I'm actually looking for a better job lately, i'm A+ and Net+ certified, and i mainly do business consulting/networking/repair, that sort of thing. If you know of anything, please let me know, and i can forward a resume to the appropriate channel...

i appreciate it, keep up the good work!

take care

That is some good stuff right there!

You look very relaxed and like you are having fun!

Sounds good too.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the muffling/triggering is more for my wife than anything. She wasn't too excited about the normal acoustic kit being played in the house on a regular basis. I didn't really have the money for a full-blown Roland Vdrum or Hart Dynamics kit, so I went this route. It's working out OK I think.

Thanks for checking the vids out...

I too thought you looked very relaxed, and the playing was spot on and very funky. excellent job. How long have you been playing?
Thanks! I've been playing since 1992, although I really had no chance to get behind a kit hardly ever between 1997-2002 due to living in apartments in college and then moving back home with, again, no place to set a kit up. During several of those years I was heavily involved in marching percussion, so I really ramped up my rudiment chops. I played in the University of Central Florida drumline from 1997-1999, roomed with a drum corps guy, and had a lot of drum corps friends. But I was really only focusing on my hands all those years and my set chops got really rusty.

Since 2003 I've been pretty active playing in church worship settings (First Baptist Church of Merritt Island and more recently at the Church at Viera), which has allowed me to keep up some set chops. But that was still limited to practices and weekend services and I still had no kit at home to practice on.

So finally this year I decided to convert my acoustic kit (which had been collecting dust in a closet) to the setup I have currently. After much reading on the vdrums.com message forum, I converted the kit to a mesh head, triggered (internally) set with muffled & triggered cymbals. The playability isn't like an acoustic set, but it's pretty darn good. On the hi-hat & snare, at least, I'm not able to achieve near the subtleties that I could on a regular HH/snare. But that's the trade-off I suppose. At least it makes recording myself extremely easy since the samples I'm triggering (Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0, btw) are already on the PC to begin with. So I'm just basically recording MIDI notes which use those samples, and then I save the full recording as a .wav file.

Sorry for the long-winded response...but that's sort of my drumming history and what I'm up to currently.

I also recorded a CD with a rock band called "Comber" if you guys are interested in checking that out: www.comberband.com

edit: I also created a SoundClick page for some recordings of our church worship band - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=825979 We have another drummer, but all of the clips I uploaded to that page are me drumming over the past year or so. We use a Roland TD-20 Vdrum kit going into a Yamaha sound board (not sure of the model). The recordings are from a monitor mix from the sound board. They're not great...but they're decent.

Last edited:
Back