Neusonic with Wrong Labels?

SoupCanSham

So as a followup to the thread linked below, I finally made it into my local Ludwig dealer to look at the Neusonics. They have a blue kit and a black kit, both in the same size. Both have been sitting there about the same amount of time.

The black kit is clearly a Neusonic and is advertised and priced as such. But the labels inside are Classic Maple labels. The blue kit has smaller, rectangular Neusonic labels.

Has anyone encountered this before? I imagine the factory could default to a different label if they run out or if the line is new. The interior of the kit with the CM labels is also clearly cherry, not maple.

Thread link: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/neusonic-vs-signet.167519/

Also, I'm curious whether you guys like the black or the blue better. I'm a little on the fence.

Last edited:
Not sure why there'd be a different label, but the shell and badge and lugs and mounts and heads and outer-ply application (seam instead of overlap) and the finish color/textures are what define the Neusonics and make them markedly different from other Ludwig lines.

Between those two finishes, I prefer the black. Always elegant, provides a nice contrast with the silver hardware, and goes well with almost any other color considerations such as amp finish, curtain colors, stage clothing, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I dig the blue a lot but I feel like long term the black will blend into more situations and circumstances. Just a note - the dealer said that the cortex isn't quite the same as the old stuff. It's still thin like the other colors. Not a problem for me, but I've seen questions about whether it's actually the same cortex as before and it seems that it's not.

The labels are weird but they're actually a tempting quirk. I sometimes like stuff like that.

I always thought Cortex was just a fancy name that Ludwig added for marketing reasons. Is it anything other than a thin wrap?

@bermuda Do the Neusonic wraps have any special qualities like scratch/scuff resistance, UV protection, anything like that?

I prefer the black over the light blue. The only downside to black is that it won't hide dust. Living with several dogs means I'd be dusting it constantly. Other than that, it matches everything.

Last edited:
I know you asked bermuda but I think they are made of formica and so even if thin should be pretty scratch-resistant.

I always thought Cortex was just a fancy name that Ludwig added for marketing reasons. Is it anything other than a thin wrap?
@bermuda Do the Neusonic wraps have any special qualities like scratch/scuff resistance, UV protection, anything like that?

The old Cortex was basically a Formica™ product, and I'll guess that the Neusonic finishes are the same, though they have a matte finish (except for the black for some reason.) It's worth noting that the Neusonic finish is applied in the mold and is therefore the 7th ply, whereas normal wraps are applied to a completed shell and not quite as integral to the structure. Meaning, if you believe that adding a wrap changes the shell's ability to resonate, that's not going to happen with the Neusonics (or the Signets.) I don't have a problem with the way a wrapped drum sounds, however I find that the Neusonics sound particularly excellent (even with the cheap Remo UT heads!)

I don't know if the Neusonic finishes are necessarily sturdier than a typical wrap, but they're a harder material than most wraps which are made with a pliable base, so they won't gouge easily. I'd still be careful about scratches though, especially with the black finish, which is pliable compared to the white, blue, "maple" and coral currently offered. I don't know if there's a UV factor, but discoloration was conquered to a large extent years ago when companies stopped using the acetate wraps that were prone to yellowing and shrinkage.

BTW, there's an EXTREMELY cool Neusonic finish that Uli came up with. I can't say any more, but I've asked for the prototype kit. :) I'll post pics eventually.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Just a quick follow-up question: unusual or not, would mismatched labels stop you from buying a kit from a known, local dealer?

Last edited:
Just a quick follow-up question: unusual or not, would mismatched labels stop you from buying a kit from a known, local dealer?
Not as long as they're a Ludwig dealer. Just for the sake of warranty. You’re not talking about a set with mixed labels between the drums, right? That would deter me from that particular set.

Considering the other available choices (where does Ludwig come up with such . . . uh . . . colors?), I would go for the black one hands down. It's actually glossy (flat colors and musical instruments don't go together) and looks miles ahead of the other choices in classiness and professionalism. If I was in the market, I'd happily pay Ludwig another $100 or so for some quality-looking finishes. Imagine the increased sales if Neusonics were available in one or two popular pearl wraps and a couple of glossy faux-wood wraps (which are durable but require no labor-intensive finishing process).

GeeDeeEmm

They always launch a new line with limited sizes and finishes, primarily to keep the catalog numbers (SKUs) manageable. I know there’s at least one new finish in the works, and I’m going with it one way or the other! I really wish I could tell everyone ?

Last edited:
So just a follow-up. I contacted Ludwig via the Conn-Selmer chat function on Friday and they confirmed the s/n format as being consistent with Neusonics. They also asked for a photo to ID the kit by features, which they did (I didn't have any worries about that).

I bought the kit on Saturday (the black one!) and got a call this afternoon from the Ludwig factory. They have a record of the kit from manufacture and are printing and sending me new, accurate labels. I'll probably put them in but won't take the other ones out - I think it's kind of neat!

In any case, the drums sound great and the customer service from Ludwig has been absolutely top-notch.

Glad to read your post ! I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase.

I love my kit. It sounds good and has a good vibe to it. Shells are thin and have great reso. It's another flavour, and a good one.
I just ordered a 14 inch Floor Tom to complete the kit which will be 12-14-16-22. Matched with a Supraphonic LM-402.. I can't complain !

Congrats and enjoy the new kit! I'm getting mine in January :)

Bermuda

Back