need to make my kick drum quieter!

charliejuson

i recently got the tama speed cobra and because of its power, it has made my bass drum sound really loud and my neighbours have started to complain in subtle ways, is their anyway i can sort of lift the bass drum off the floor? i have seen the bass drum riser but it says they only fit 18" and 20" kick drum and i have 22". I need to do this pretty soon before they file a noise complaint, i have acoustic foam tiles on the walls but i think it is because of the bass drum being dead on the floor (on top of a drum mat obviously) i am ordering some more tiles as the first time i did not have enough to cover all walls.

Is there anything i can buy (or make) that would reduce the sound of the bass drum travelling through the floor?

thanks, i could really use some help quickly as my parents say if i can't stop it i will have to sell them and get electric and i really don't want to sell my star classics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: need to make my kick drum quitter!

Buy two pieces of plywood and a bunch of tennis balls.

Cut a bunch of holes in both plywood pieces, evenly spaced at the same points on each one, just large enough to fit the balls in them, without moving. Then put the balls in the holes on the bottom sheet and the second sheet over them. Viola! A floating drum riser :p

Like so:

riser2.jpg

Of course, this will only help with the bass frequencies traveling through structures. If your kick drum is actually so loud that it's being heard through walls, and not just the thud, then you've got bigger issues and you might want to look into just dampening the crap out of your head with some foam or tightly packed materials inside the drum itself.

it seems like i basically need to dampen the bass drum, whether thats with mute pads or just things inside the drum, its a shame really, i personally love the sound of my kick and its volume but apparently its "too loud" i guess you just have to be a drummer to understand how hard it is to be quiet when you really get into it and carried away, i have a few gigs coming up so i can really let lose then! haha

Buy two pieces of plywood and a bunch of tennis balls.

Cut a bunch of holes in both plywood pieces, evenly spaced at the same points on each one, just large enough to fit the balls in them, without moving. Then put the balls in the holes on the bottom sheet and the second sheet over them. Viola! A floating drum riser :p

Like so:

riser2.jpg

Of course, this will only help with the bass frequencies traveling through structures. If your kick drum is actually so loud that it's being heard through walls, and not just the thud, then you've got bigger issues and you might want to look into just dampening the crap out of your head with some foam or tightly packed materials inside the drum itself.

this is a good idea! i might have to try this! cheaper than buying a drum riser and can make it to your personal size! Thanks for the idea man!

Just put pillows in it.

(duh)

Last edited:
Back