Need play-along music for trading 4.

hunterde

I’m studying using the book Motivic drumset soloing, by Terry O'Mahoney. I like the book but I would like to find some play-along music for trading 4 or other phrase lengths when soloing. I’m also looking for recordings of jazz drummers with great tempo (time keeping) to play along with to develop swing and time.

The jazz tracks from Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials have 4 (and 2) bar breaks in them.

awesome. thanks for the info on Terry's book; will have to get this ! went to U of M w/ Terry...super-musical & motivated guy. i remember him busting his a** & getting his Masters in a year while at Miami.

+ http://people.stfx.ca/tomahon/

Thank you for all the advice. I ordered a copy of Baby Steps to Giant Steps. I’m studying a lot of different material at this time but I think I’m going to order a few books by John Houston next. Brady mentioned Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials I have it but I went through the jazz section months ago and I don’t remember him trading 4 but I’ll check out the jazz section again. I thought that Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials Volume 1 was great, how does volume 2 compare and what styles does he cover?

Thank you for all the advice. I ordered a copy of Baby Steps to Giant Steps. I’m studying a lot of different material at this time but I think I’m going to order a few books by John Houston next. Brady mentioned Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials I have it but I went through the jazz section months ago and I don’t remember him trading 4 but I’ll check out the jazz section again. I thought that Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials Volume 1 was great, how does volume 2 compare and what styles does he cover?

Groove Essentials 2.0 is much more advanced than 1.0. The songs are much more challenging in terms of structure and expectations. The tempo range is a serious challenge. As far as jazz tunes, there are 3 brush tunes, a jazz mambo and a ridiculously fast uptempo piece. This thing will keep anyone busy for years. In a great way.

Back