Need advice on video+audio recording my band

What mixer are you using for the live sound?

Wow, I glad you asked this question. I was at the point of wondering if we could use the aux sends on the mixer to feed the Zoom's six inputs, instead of extra mics or mic splitters. So I checked with the studio: the mixer is a Yamaha TF-5. I've looked at some specs and video online, and the TF-5 is a full-featured digital mixer, which adds a whole level of complexity on how we will set up the sends to the Zoom. Obviously to someone familiar with a digital unit, it's easier to use, but to a newbie like me I think it'll be totally non-intuitive, unless I practiced on it first. I may have to hire an engineer to handle the audio. This whole thing is turning very stressful, but I'm learning a lot that I can use going forward.

Last edited:
If the videographer is not (really) experienced with (multitrack) recordings of bands, I would want to be there early with the band so you can setup all the mics and connections and do some test recordings. Preferably into a laptop / DAW so you can play it back and check if it sounds good and maybe do some tweaking.
If you have the audio setup right, then it is up to the videographer to take care of the visuals.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

If the videographer is not (really) experienced with (multitrack) recordings of bands, I would want to be there early with the band so you can setup all the mics and connections and do some test recordings. Preferably into a laptop / DAW so you can play it back and check if it sounds good and maybe do some tweaking.
If you have the audio setup right, then it is up to the videographer to take care of the visuals.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
I talked with the videographer and the audio is going to be my responsibility. And You’re right: a laptop would be the way to go. This is all new to me. Too bad I didn’t have more time and cash to really do it right. So we’ll do our best this first time, and prepare to do better the next.

Do the guys running the studio offer recording services?

Yeah, but in a smaller room that seems too tight for 10 players and videographer. Unless we had a camera or phone in front of each of us, that we cut between during editing. That presents even more challenges for this time, but I would like to do something like that next time.

However, I’m going to talk with the studio today to see if they could help set up the mixer aux sends to the Zoom. I’m still hoping we can get a decent result that way.

See below. I would probably go with that and find a way to make the visuals work.

As I just said above, that approach would be cool in its own way, and I’d like to try that next time. I’m going to power ahead and make my original plan work, learn from the experience (and mistakes) and do better next time.

Why spend money on something with possibly sketchy audio. if this is for gigs people will judge you on the sound of the band.
My room is tiny at home and I make video work.
Play the songs a few times each then have the video maker move around doing tighter shots of you all. Video is easy to edit together impressively than amateur sounding audio - not that you are amateurs, but going to this for the first time slightly under prepared.
Alternatively work something out with the practice space audio team.

As I just said above, that approach would be cool in its own way, and I’d like to try that next time. I’m going to power ahead and make my original plan work, learn from the experience (and mistakes) and do better next time.
Here on the forum:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Why spend money on something with possibly sketchy audio. if this is for gigs people will judge you on the sound of the band.
My room is tiny at home and I make video work.
Play the songs a few times each then have the video maker move around doing tighter shots of you all. Video is easy to edit together impressively than amateur sounding audio - not that you are amateurs, but going to this for the first time slightly under prepared.
Alternatively work something out with the practice space audio team.

Points taken, Chris. I hear you, nothing like good professional sounding video. But if the audio is clear and you can hear all the players, isn't that going to be good enough for bookers to view short videos or a reel on Instagram or our website?

As to the choice of rooms available at this studio, the problem is the only room they can do multitrack audio in is really small, 400 sq ft to be exact. There's 10 of us, we've played in there before, and believe me it's tight already. We stand around the walls and face inward, and I can't see the videographer having enough room to maneuver very much.

I would like to do another video in that room later on, and set up stationary cameras in front of each player, and then a moving camera.That approach would work well in the small room. An we could do full 32 track hi-quality audio.

Good news for this Sunday is, I've talked to their audio engineer, and he's working with us to get the best we can out of the situation.

Hopefully I'll be able to come back here in a couple weeks with a video that looks and sounds pretty good. Otherwise, I've got some crow to eat.

All the Best on this project - a learning experience for sure. Good to hear the studio guys are helping.

If I were you..
There has to be 3 to 4 iphones in the band members pockets..maybe more..
Use em all for different camera angles and save some dough..and learn how to make the band look good.
Lighting and backround are very important here..
Get a multi cam editor like Power director and have fun.
Run the zoom w/good mics and as a stereo setup too as backup..
Its not that hard to get great results w/basic equip.
Sometime..pros mess up stuff..or its not up to par...
If you can get 32 bit float recorder then even if you overload the mics you can recover it.
I have seen great results with click and do the overdub in the studio..but thats another story..

Back