Need a good e kit around 500 bucks.

I have a Roland 1DMK about that price range….and I think it’s compact and plenty useful for quiet practice. The way pricing has gone the last 3 years, you might have to look used….but it has never let me down. I upgraded to a TD27KV2…but I still have the 1DMK. The only thing you might want to upgrade sooner than later is the kick setup.

2nd user Roland or Yamaha.
Depends what's available where you are.
Have you tried anything?

For a bit more money than your price, a Roland kit can be had. I would definitely go Roland over Alesis.
For example:
https://www.kenstanton.com/products...0is23gXkkOwv6HdXayvXY4XV-X3LYVDRdE0vVZSUjNC0c
Second that, at least with Roland you know everything is going to work and it should last a long time as long as you take care of it.

Then later on upgrade things as you can starting with the module. but if you are going to be using VST software then it will not be as imperative to upgrade right away. There are some great cheap VSTs such as Get Good Drums and Steven Slate Drums.

Like many said, you aren't going to get something great for that price range. If you are looking for a basic set up that can be played with headphones for simple practice without much concern for a wide dynamic range you can get a nice bang for your buck with the alesis nitro kits. Don't expect this to replace your acoustic drums or be a gig worthy kit, but it works fine for basic practice or simple midi beats.

I have a Alesls Nitro kit, it's not mesh. I've used it for rehearsals and it is pretty darned good for the price, it was 300 new. It has a couple of glitches like if I hit the side of the 2 zone snare in perfect time with the hats it cuts out sometimes. Also you can't use a multi zone ride with it. But other than that it's good. Sounds are really good sounds imo

Define "good". :)

I got my little Roland on craigslist for $500 years ago. Still going strong.

Define "good". :)

I got my little Roland on craigslist for $500 years ago. Still going strong.
I got a brand new TD 11 kit about 11 years ago, still using it, I recently found a store display for the TD27 KV2 so I bought that for $1500 and combined both kits and some pads I had bought to upgrade the TD-11 rubber pads.
Finally, I recently also bought Superior Drummer, Have not yet tested with my kit but that is coming soon. I had Alesis gear before. (still have a DM5 and an I/O modules), they both work fine but of course are quite limited when compared to the Roland modules (even the TD-11). Never owned an Alesis kit just the modules, but from the entire history of their DM kits to recent years, their reliability was almost non-existent, They also didn't seemed to be able to get their hats to work correctly, or at the level of other manufacturers. (maybe they figured that out now?). and generally yes you paid much less than Roland but you felt the drop in quality/features too. You still don't see too many of those kits in the used market after 5 to ten years of their appearance on the market, which tells me that people just throws them away instead of trying to sell them. I understand that a lot of issues (with any e-kit) can be solved by setting it up properly. I also understand that a lot of new drummers don't know what some settings do or what to even look for. I feel that EVERY manufacturer should offer some video training on what most of those features do as part of setting up your kit for the first time.
I agree that the Strata module seems like the way all manufacturers should go since touch screens are not a new technology.
I don't think that is what it is about, I believe other manufacturers don't do it simply because it would increase their file sizes exponentially. (Imagine having ALL the features the TD-50 offers but in a touch screen/pretty graphics presentation?). There would be much less room for all samples and sounds. I also agree that when you are paying upwards of $3000 you should get that and more and maybe that is where all future modules are heading towards. I can imagine Roland wanting $5000 for a module like that so now that drum set would reach 10 to 13k.. which is ridiculous. the DWe is already almost 10k...

Back