My (Preliminary) Ddrum Reflex Uptown Review

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
So Ddrum gets a bad rep on pretty much every online drum forum out there. Yeah, they are new to the game, they had bad QC in the beginning, and in general people dismissed them as a drum company because they only used to make dinky little electronic kits. Well, I took a chance and purchased a Reflex Uptown 6 piece kit from them just to see whats up with their acoustic offerings.

drumset_hero_reflex_uptown.jpg

Skip ahead if you just want the review:

As a primer to this short review, I want to explain why I began looking at Ddrum and didn't stick with the big manufacturers when buying this kit. Yes, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, etc. all make nice kits and have a huge range within their lines to pretty much meet the needs of anyone, but at the same time, I find them a bit boring. My first kit was a Tama Rockstar DX. Not a bad beginner kit, but 20 years later, the Rockstar is still there, made of the same materials, with the same bearing edges, similar hardware, etc. The kit hasn't changed in 20 years. Take a look at the Starclassic kits and they really haven't changed in 20 years either. Still made of maple, diecast hoops, lacquer finishes, etc. Basically the exact same kit for the last 20 years. Pearl is the same way. The Export is back, and its the same as the old Export. Yeah there is the Reference drums and the Masterworks, but if I wanted to spend that much money on a drum kit, I would probably look at more exotic manufacturers. Basically, these companies bore me. Show me innovation, show me new things that no one else does, show me that you are at least trying to make a better product than you were 20 years ago and not just cheapening the kits out to make a greater profit margin.

So back to Ddrum. Ddrum caught my eye with their Dios Bubinga kit. I randomly was searching out exotic wood kits and came across this kit. $2200 for a 6 piece bubinga kit. That same thing from Tama costs 3 times that much. Then there is the Dios Walnut kit. Again, an "exotic" wood (especially when looking at the big boys) for ~$2000. The Paladin Walnut kit can be had for ~$1200. I wasn't looking to spend this much on my next kit, but it was good to see a manufacturer out there making kits out of exotic woods and not marking up the crap out of it. Then I ran across the Reflex line. The kit is made entirely of Alder. No one, I repeat, no one makes an alder drum kit. Only Ddrum. That intrigued me. I like the idea of using a wood that no one else uses. It makes it a bit more rare in a world full of maple and birch drums. So I bought it.

Here's where the review begins:

The packaging: Overall it was very well packed. The usual Russian doll packing setup was done, with everything all wrapped individually and protected with cardboard. The bass drum had full size cardboard spacers around it (top and bottom) to keep the drum from moving and to keep it away from the outer edges of the box in case of overzealous shipping companies. Bubble wrapped and boxed floor toms and snare. Overall everything was well packed and nothing was damaged in shipping. This is very different from my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, which was so poorly packed that the bass drum was damaged in shipping and the whole kit had to go back. Poor packing by Gretsch lead to damage in shipment.

The first look: Upon first inspection all the drums look really nice. Nice glossy finish without any flaws, scratches, cracks, etc. The bearing edges look pretty solid through the heads. The end grain pores don't look to be too pronounced and there doesn't appear to be many flaws that were fixed with filler or just left as cavities. The interior of the shells were very "dry" and the Red Alder interiors had a bit of rough feeling. Mostly this was just the grain begging to be conditioned. Very pretty reddish-brown interiors and the grain of the wood is heavily pronounced. Very nice appearance, but needs a good conditioning. Heads are made by Evans for Ddrum. Probably some Taiwan plant making them and not made in the USA. 2 ply, really heavy, batter heads with single ply reso's. Should work for a bit, but heads are a personal preference and will likely get swapped out to suit the end users needs.

The shells: Shells are made entirely of Alder. Both sap and heart wood is used in the construction. The heartwood is the outer and inner plys (and one layer in the middle for some reason) and the inner plys are the sapwood (white in color). Overall a very heavily grained (exterior and interior) kit. Some may like this, others may like the really smooth grained maple kits. For me, I wanted something that made a statement. These shells really do that. 6 ply shells for the toms, and 8 ply for the bass and snare. Overall they are pretty thin. Approximately 5-6 mil for the toms. Light weight as well. They look to be nice and round, but I haven't measured them. I don't have a light table, or any table for that matter that is accurate enough to check the bearing edges for flatness, so I can't comment. The bearing edges, however, were fairly smooth to the touch in both directions. They need just a quick touch with some steel wool and they smooth out nicely. They are a relatively sharp 45 degree inner cut with a back cut that is probably around 30 degrees. No round over, or softened edges. Its a pretty pronounced edge on the top. After removing all the hardware, sanding the interior of the shell, and conditioning it with tung oil, it looks and feels much nicer. There is some splintering of the inner ply from the drilling of the holes. Alder is very soft, so its to be expected. My Catalina Maple's are just as splintered and that is a harder wood than this Alder. If you do the John Good tap test, the shell has a nice tone to it. The resonance doesn't last as long as something like a rock hard maple shell does, but that's just a characteristic of Alder. Its a very soft (as soft as poplar and basswood), so it wont ring like a harder wood does. This should lead to less overtones.

The Hardware: One word can describe the hardware: Heavy. The kit comes with 2.3mm triple flanged hoops (but they feel thicker/heavier than the 2.3 hoops on my Gretsch), "face off" lugs, heavy duty floor tom mounts, and a very rigid tom mounting system that bolts to the face of the lugs. Everything is very heavy duty. The little face off lugs may not be everyone's style, but I dont think they look any worse then DW's turret lugs. They are actually smaller then the DW lugs, and they serve a secondary purpose in that you can pull the faces off and screw things in to them. Ddrum mounts the floating tom mounts to two of the lugs on the toms, but you could probably mount microphones to them very easily for a studio or live setup. Each little lug is quite heavy duty. Good mass to them, nicely constructed and the chroming is well done. Memory locks are supplied with everything, so that's a nice feature that some of the big boys like to omit on their lower end kits. The tension rods are standard thread and of the 16 I pulled off when conditioning the 14" floor tom, each one had perfect threads with no gumming up from the use of power tools to install them. One thing i will say is that each little screw and tension rod was "dry". No oil was used during the install, so I would recommend putting a dab of oil on them to keep their action nice and smooth when tuning.

The sound: Well, I haven't gotten here yet, and I may never get there. This kit was purchased as an A2E conversion for my next project. I may tune up the heads and give 'em a go, but ultimately I an going to throw mesh heads on it and trigger a 2Box module. There are other reviews out there that let you know how the kit sounds, and overall they think they sound pretty good. So yeah, I dont have much to comment on them

Overall: From everything I have seen, touched, smelled, etc. I am pretty impressed with the kit. I think its quality is better than my Gretsch Catalina Maples. This kit cost a bit more then the Gretsch due to the finish, but if you get a lacquer finish on this same kit it is right there with the Gretsch in pricing. Overall, I wouldn't dismiss Ddrum if you are looking for a kit that's a bit different then the mainstream stuff. I like that Ddrum is trying to use different woods in their line up. I like that they don't have such a big name, and I like that they don't charge a huge premium to have their name on the bass drum head.

So that's my preliminary review of the kit's components. I will get my own photos up in due time, but for now I have more drums to strip and condition the interiors.

Last edited:
I don't want to go through that whole post and go all argumentative, but here are a few notes:

Take a look at the Starclassic kits and they really haven't changed in 20 years either. Still made of maple, diecast hoops, lacquer finishes, etc. Basically the exact same kit for the last 20 years.

Except the hardware (throwoffs, spurs, isolation mounts) have gotten way better, and there was/are also the Starclassic B/B, the Bubinga, the Bubinga Elite, the Omni-Tune... just in the past few years.

Pearl is the same way. The Export is back, and its the same as the old Export. Yeah there is the Reference drums and the Masterworks...

What about the Session Studio Classic? To my knowledge, the only other company making kits with Kapur in them is Yamaha in their very premium PHX line.

just cheapening the kits out to make a greater profit margin.

Actually, in my opinion, kits today in the low-mid-end are MUCH better than 20 years ago. I could lust after a Tama Silverstar, or a PDP Concept, or a Ludwig Signet all day, and with a modicum of tuning & upkeep they'd sound like a much more expensive kit than their prices suggest. Plus, the hardware is unequivocally superior to most things churned out previously.

Anyways... sounds like you enjoy your kit so far? Good for you.

I'm just surprised someone wrote a review on a set of drums without knowing how they sound. With that said in what way do you plan to trigger them?

I'm just surprised someone wrote a review on a set of drums without knowing how they sound. With that said in what way do you plan to trigger them?

Thats why I called this a "preliminary" review. If I had the whole kit set up and had given it a good thrashing, it would be a full review. :)

As for how Im going to trigger it, I am going to use Triggera Intriggs.

Thats why I called this a "preliminary" review. If I had the whole kit set up and had given it a good thrashing, it would be a full review. :)

As for how Im going to trigger it, I am going to use Triggera Intriggs.

Well when you said you haven't played them and may never I took it as what's the point to a review that may or may not get finished no biggie not busting your chips a bit. Enjoy the set and post a review on the 2box module that is if you play it sorry can't resist.

Well when you said you haven't played them and may never I took it as what's the point to a review that may or may not get finished no biggie not busting your chips a bit. Enjoy the set and post a review on the 2box module that is if you play it sorry can't resist.

I guess part of why I reviewed what I reviewed is because many people completely dismiss Ddrum due to rumors of cheaply quality control. Most of the people who dog the kits have never used them, let alone even seen a Ddrum acoustic kit. So I wanted to put up an honest review of the quality in the shell construction, the hardware, and overall fit and finish.

In new news, I measured my 14x14 as I was putting the hardware back on. It came out to be 13 15/16" across at every lug. So its good to report that the drum was perfectly round.

I don't know why you just didn't get a 2 box, or if you wanted it to appear like a real kit you could have gotten an old beater from the classifieds and put a nice wrap on it.

Anyway they look great. I borrowed a ddrum snare once, the build quality wasn't amazing (uneven tension in lugs, sticky throwoff) but if yours is good that's the main thing.

I don't know why you just didn't get a 2 box, or if you wanted it to appear like a real kit you could have gotten an old beater from the classifieds and put a nice wrap on it.

Anyway they look great. I borrowed a ddrum snare once, the build quality wasn't amazing (uneven tension in lugs, sticky throwoff) but if yours is good that's the main thing.

I have already made an A2E conversion for my TD-30 module with a Gretsch Catalina Maple drum set. Many people said I should have gotten some beat up shells and wrapped them, or cut them in half and doubled the amount of drums, etc. In the end, a beat up set of drums needs a lot of work to look nice again. A nice wrap is not cheap. It was actually just about the same price for a new kit that was deeply discounted as it would be for a beat up used kit that needs to be reconditioned. In the end I chose the new kit because it was less work, looked nicer, and if I want to make it an acoustic again, I'm working with a new kit instead of some beat up piece of crap.

I got a good price on the Ddrum kit, so I went for it. A 6 piece of similar sizes along with a wrap that would look as crazy as the Red Alder looks naturally would have cost me just about as much money. As I mentioned in the review of the hardware, its all heavy duty stuff. A cheap kit would probably have all really cheap hardware as well. Overall its better to spend the extra few bucks on something that has some quality in it then going bargain basement on everything. At least that's my opinion.

As for buying a 2Box kit??? Not going to happen. That thing fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch. I had a Roland TD-30KV which looks so much better then the 2Box and I got rid of it because it just wasn't meeting my visual needs. The Catalina kit looks much better than the TD-30KV kit did. This Ddrum kit looks equally awesome. Full sized shells, glossy lacquer finishes, sparkling hardware, etc. Its beautiful in my opinion.

Anyway, here are some photos of the 14x14 tom:

Bare interior after hardware removal:
13739652633_d9059d8cd1_o.jpg

Bearing edge:
13740011844_ca8db68da4_o.jpg

Exterior of shell with no hardware:
13739607435_7078952ffe_o.jpg

Interior of shell after Tung Oil:
13739652993_98a18a4ce4_o.jpg

Interior of shell with hardware installed:
13740011854_57271056a0_o.jpg

Have a hybrid kit myself took the used rewrap approach but used a vinyl shelf paper from Lowes cost $21 to do the entire kit looks great has been on for 6 months without one problem. You should think about making your own triggers and if your largest floor tom is more then 14" using a center mounted trigger I have a 16" and it had dead spots without it.

Very nice job really nice looking. Didn't go that route but can see why you did looks clean as factory. I just mounted an L bracket off the tom lug then mounted the 1/4 jack to the bottom head. Cant see a thing with the heads on but not near as clean off.

Oh man Tommy those drums do look nice. I was sad when reading the review and just when I got to the point where it would tell me how the drums sounded there was nothing. Oh well its still pretty awesome. Nice job on the drop in pan triggers. But I do have a few questions for you; do you still play an acoustic set? What draws you to the Electronic kit? Do you play an all electronic kit at shows? If you don't why does it matter how they look? If you do that is pretty awesome even though it is not necessarily my thing you are one of few so keep it up.

I was sad when reading the review and just when I got to the point where it would tell me how the drums sounded there was nothing.

You were sad from reading my review? Did I paint the drums in a bad light? I didnt think I did. Hmm...

do you still play an acoustic set?

I own 3 acoustic kits. One is a Tama Rockstar DX from 1993. Its big, black, and loud. Unfortunately, it is in Wisconsin at my brother's place. My Gretsch Catalina's were converted to electronic with a Roland TD-30 module a few months back and I play these whenever I have the chance. My 3rd kit is this Ddrum Reflex kit. It is also getting converted to electronic with a 2Box module.

So do I still play acoustic? Sometimes. When I'm in Wisconsin.

What draws you to the Electronic kit?

Well, lots of things do. The ability to have so many different sounds all on one kit is amazing. The ability to have a rock kit, a jazz kit, a progressive kit, heavy metal kit, etc all at the turn of a dial is incredible. Some people buy 40 different snare drums just so they can have the right one for the sound they are looking for. I have 4000 snare drums at my disposal with the electronic kit, and I don't have to get up off my throne to get them.

The fact that they are quiet is nice because I can play at any time of day, or night! Try playing acoustics at 2 in the morning and see how that goes over with your family, or neighbors.

For recording I can hook the module up directly to my computer, straight in to my DAW. No need for mic's and tuning my room acoustics. I can record myself right on to the module and listen to my playing instantly for feedback on what needs to be changed, or what I need to work on to make my playing better. I can record myself and turn it in to a loop that I play over. I can replay my recording and change the kit I was playing on to get a completely different sound. I don't have to re-record with the new kit. There is tons of stuff you can do on an electric kit on the recording and engineering side that you need completely separate tools for with an acoustic kit. The ability to do these changes on the fly while siting at the kit is huge.

Do you play an all electronic kit at shows?

I am not a gigging drummer. I am the much more common "basement drummer."

If you don't why does it matter how they look?

Well, I'm not a model but I still get up every morning, shower, brush my teeth, and do my hair. By your rational, should I just let myself go and give up?

The visual beauty of drums is probably 75% the reason why someone buys one kit over another. Sound and price point are determining factors as well, but you know the thing that draws someone to one set over the other is the look. For me, I love the look of acoustic drums. They are like furniture pieces to me. I want my man cave to have beautiful, yet functional, things in it. My TD-30KV looked nice, but in the end it just didn't speak to me like full sized acoustic shells speak to me. Its the same reason why I don't face my drums towards a wall. I face them out towards the room. Yes, it takes up more space, but I want them to be seen.

If you do that is pretty awesome even though it is not necessarily my thing you are one of few so keep it up.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Fair enough, and no you did not paint them in a bad light nor would I judge you for playing an electronic kit. I was just curious about what you liked about going electric and you did a good job of describing why. Thanks.

Be interested in how you feel the 2box is vs the TD-30 not really interested in either I prefer VST and not spending 1or2 grand on a module but how they match up would be nice.

As a small update to the thread, I had trouble tuning up the batter head on the 14" floor tom. Drum is round, rim is round, so I took a look at the head. Yep, the aluminum ring holding the mylar is all bent out of shape. Lay it on the countertop and it rocks all over the place. Brand new head, not a stick mark on it.

So it goes to show, you might as well just buy new heads with inexpensive kits as they are junk.

Fortunately, my 14" Remo Silent stroke head went on without any issues. Despite the fact that it doesn't get "tuned" in the normal fashion as a mylar head, it took equal tension across the entire head.

Back