Motivation

straightupgroove

Can i just ask everyone how they keep themselves motivated to improve and practice? What do you do when you seem to have run out of motivation to practice?

To enjoy playing music I try to make my life inspirational.

When it comes to daily practice, I consider my daily routine my duty and don't question it. I do it regardless, but take a day off here and there.

If you are burned out on it I'd take a longer break. Go traveling, enjoy nature, go to some shows. Give it a while until you need to do it. After practicing for years, taking a few weeks completely off can be a very good thing both for you and your playing.

Just fil the rest of your lifw with what inspires and excites you, whatever that is.

Anytime I see live music ...even if the drums aren't up to snuff I immediately want to go home and play.

Anytime I feel like I'm stuck in a rut, or just don't have the motivation to practice, I'll throw on a live concert DVD and get pumped up again... off to the woodshed I go.

Pretty much what I do too, a live DVD, an educational DVD (I love Benny's Language of drumming) or listening and watching any inspiring drummers on the net, I just get the vibe and motivation, and often, with great effect on my practice.

But I also do my routine stuff, I rarely get stuck for motivation though, there's so many aspect of drumming I need to improve, the list is almost endless, if I don't feel doing technical stuff, I'll work on a feel or time keeping with the metronome or... whatever is the flavor of the day. If the worse come to the worse, I'll do a short practice solely on rudiments for say half an hour or three quarter an hour.

Back