Most smoothest / darkest / quietest Hi-Hats you have played?

Either Heartbeat custom dry or their Studio version. Both sets were 15”.

Wait, I'm confused...

Your thread title is looking for, "smooth, dark, and quiet" but your OP is looking for, "crispy, bright, and loud". These are totally different sets of characteristics that would lead you to two totally different sets of hats.

Dark and quiet makes me think of something trashy like the pstx Swiss hats or the Zildjian FX stack (as hats) or something like the K Dark. Crispy, bright, and loud make me think of something with a brilliant finish and no airlock, like a custom mastersounds.

Wait, I'm confused...

Your thread title is looking for, "smooth, dark, and quiet" but your OP is looking for, "crispy, bright, and loud". These are totally different sets of characteristics that would lead you to two totally different sets of hats.

Dark and quiet makes me think of something trashy like the pstx Swiss hats or the Zildjian FX stack (as hats) or something like the K Dark. Crispy, bright, and loud make me think of something with a brilliant finish and no airlock, like a custom mastersounds.
I just went with favourite hats!! ? (y)

Wait, I'm confused...

Yes, im asking about both. Im not looking to buy hi-hats (for now). Just asking peoples experiences from both extremes.

I personally tend to like quiet and smoky hi hats. But sometimes you just need that sparkly, bright and loud sound.

Yes, im asking about both. Im not looking to buy hi-hats (for now). Just asking peoples experiences from both extremes.

I personally tend to like quiet and smoky hi hats. But sometimes you just need that sparkly, bright and loud sound.

Oh ok, I see. I'll second Paiste but I've been playing a lot of Zildjian lately and you couldn't go wrong with A customs.

The first place I would look would be a set of Sabian HHX. I've never heard a Sabian HHX I didn't like, but I don't own any.

Smoothest: Istanbul Agop Epoch 14"
Darkest: Istanbul Agop Turk 16"
Quietest: Paiste 602 13"

Favorite Overall: Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary 15"

My Meinl Byzance Vintage pure 14” hats are exactly as described in the thread title.

My 2002 sound edge hats are the exact opposite

And my Paiste dark energy and meinl Byzance dual hats sit somewhere in the middle (leaning towards the darker side)

When I need it that dark and quiet I go to a time before most drummers bought a “set” of hi hats and pair up a couple of paper thin 16in crashes. Think 800g territory. Blew me away first time I heard it.

I play a pair of 14" Paiste Rude hats and they are super crispy, but not heavy or clangy. Some of the best hats I've ever had.

I have some 13 inch Sabian AA regular hats. These hats are very mellow and not very loud they have some patina on them but not extreme. I don’t know how old they are because I bought them used but would be great on low volume gigs

Back