Mini laptop for guitar pro/audacity

Stevedot2

Hi drummers

I just want to know if a mini laptop with 4GB ram will be sufficient to handle guitar pro (for tabbing drums and playback for drumming along to), Audacity (for importing drum tracks from Guitar pro onto recorded audio) and general audio playback for drumming along to.

I'm sure it'll be fine but don't really know shit about laptops so advice much appreciated.

TIA

I think you could do this with a phone too, so it's not very intensive. But if you start getting into drum recording and audio production, 4GB isn't going to cut it, so think about that too. No point of getting a 4GB RAM computer if you're interested in audio.

I think you could do this with a phone too, so it's not very intensive. But if you start getting into drum recording and audio production, 4GB isn't going to cut it, so think about that too. No point of getting a 4GB RAM computer if you're interested in audio.
Thanks. It'll be mainly for writing/tabbing drum parts on GP, rather than recording drums. I can't do this on the mobile app, it's infuriating, haha. I know ideally an 8GB RAM laptop would be the option but I just don't think I can justify the cost, as i dont think it is really necessary for what i need.

Thanks. It'll be mainly for writing/tabbing drum parts on GP, rather than recording drums. I can't do this on the mobile app, it's infuriating, haha. I know ideally an 8GB RAM laptop would be the option but I just don't think I can justify the cost, as i dont think it is really necessary for what i need.
yeah if you’re not going to do audio production any time soon then it will work fine.

Hi drummers

I just want to know if a mini laptop with 4GB ram will be sufficient to handle guitar pro (for tabbing drums and playback for drumming along to), Audacity (for importing drum tracks from Guitar pro onto recorded audio) and general audio playback for drumming along to.

I'm sure it'll be fine but don't really know shit about laptops so advice much appreciated.

TIA
if you haven't bought the laptop.. I suggest you find a used laptop, maybe your old laptop and just buy a solid state drive and some ram for it, you can upgrade it yourself, there are tons of videos in YT on how to do it, It is really extremely easy and you won't spend too much on the solid state drive plus ram. Now for a good FREE audio recording program get cakewalk by band lab, way more complete than Audacity and there are also tons of tutorials in YT on how to use it. if you want a great FREE video editing program look for Davinci Resolve it is as good if not better than Premier or Final cut pro. (and there are tons of tutorials in YT on how to use it).
Plus Cakewalk as a drum VST which you can use to add realistic sounding drums to your guitar pro tracks (when importing them as midi from guitarpro to Cakewalk. lots of choices...

My laptop is a few years old, has 4 GB RAM and Audacity runs fine on it until I have more than 8 tracks, then I experience pauses or stops.

My laptop is a few years old, has 4 GB RAM and Audacity runs fine on it until I have more than 8 tracks, then I experience pauses or stops.
Upgrading the hard drive to a solid state and adding ram will significantly speed it up.

you will need one of these to copy your drive to the new one (so that you don't have to reinstall your operating system and everything)

but if you don't want to go through all that jazz this is easier and you get to still be able to use your old drive:

This box takes the old drive in slot A the new drive in slot B and just copies them then all you have to do is install the new drive, boot up and ready to go with a significantly faster laptop. All in all about $150 dollars vs buying a new laptop...and don't be intimidated it's not hard, YouTube has multiple tutorials on how to do it, just look for upgrading laptop hard drive to SSD or upgrading Laptop Ram you will find both methods with the SATA to USB cable as well as with the Docking station, by far the docking station is way easier and allows you to still be able to use your old drive as an external drive or keep it as your OS backup...

I think the power of a mini notebook should be enough if you use it only for the guitar. 4GB of RAM will be enough for basic tasks. But if you suddenly want to use your laptop for gaming, you definitely don't have enough power. I used my old laptop to play video games for a long time. Of course, it was uncomfortable as the games were constantly lagging. This year I decided to build a powerful PC. I chose everything I needed; finding a good monitor and a powerful graphics card was especially important. Graphics cards are expensive today because of cryptocurrencies.

Last edited:
Back