Marc Quinones Q-Popper as main snare for hip-hop?

Cacaphony

Have any of you lovely people tried this snare drum? I play acoustic hip-hop, and I was looking for a new snare and this one struck me. As we all know, nothing beats trying it firsthand, but no stores carry this in my area. Any feedback would be lovely, and I would likely build you a tiny monument out of possibly, macaroni noodles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38iz3tZYLkM

Thanks,
Tyler

Buy this drum! I played one while shopping for an auxilary 10" snare. This would be an awesome drum for hip-hop. It sounds great, and very unique. Definitely louder than one of those 10" PDP 805's, which would be the closest comparison. The metal construction gives it a lot more volume and it really does sound convincingly like a timbale with the snares turned off. I can whole-heartedly reccomend this snare to you.

Wow, that was fast! You seem confident in the quality of this drum. How versatile do you think it would be in other areas? I play with brushes quite often, so I have to take that into consideration as well.

Thanks though, the construction of your macaroni monument has begun!

I own this drum as a side snare and as already stated it makes a great timbale. I think it would be a great snare for hip hop. I changed the head to an evans g1 and it has a nice open metal sound without being to ringy. It sounds like the snare on Naughty by Nature's hip hop horray.

deenee006.jpg

Man, I think these are so cool looking, I really wish I would've just grabbed one when I had the chance. Doesn't it have a special post hole welded on for auxiliary percussion as well?

Indeed. My intentions are to just flip it around the opposite direction as the picture above and use it as my main snare, without a stand. Hopefully it clears the hi-hats enough to do so, if not I'll just use a stand. I'm planning on getting 12" Meinl Byzance Mini-Hats.

Indeed. My intentions are to just flip it around the opposite direction as the picture above and use it as my main snare, without a stand. Hopefully it clears the hi-hats enough to do so, if not I'll just use a stand. I'm planning on getting 12" Meinl Byzance Mini-Hats.

i think youll be fine. my 10" tom clears my 19" crash with one of those mounts.

Back