Mapex: 1-screw lugs: any problems?

Splat

I've been a maple man my whole drumming life and wanted a birch kit. I just jumped on a Meridian birch kit in Trans Cherry Red at an excellent price. I've always, always loved finishes like it, but never owned one. One thing I didn't notice was the lugs. They're held onto the shell via 1 screw. WTH?! I'm not a basher, but no light-weight hitter either. Am I to be worried about these lugs?

Thanks Scarlit. I've searched for complaints but haven't found any about the lugs. I gotta admit that I'm surprised. I'm so used to the double-screw mounted lugs.... gotta not worry, gotta not worry........

I didn't get it yet! It should be here by this Monday. I hope. When it's all set up I'll be a pix'n like a proud new papa! :)
Don't worry buddy. They have been doing it this way for many years. Less holes in the shells means more resonance. They even do it this way on all their hi end kits and snares. If it holds on a tightly tuned snare, it will hold on a tom. Its all good. :)

No worries at all. Mapex isn't the only one doing it either. Fewer holes, less shell contact is all the rage these days.

Bizarre...I'm different than most, I'd return the drums and run away from anything held on by only one screw.

If you want ultimate resonance, get those old Peavey Radial bridge drums. They're epic.

Well you must be old school. You drum on Ludwig. :) They are usually 20 years behind everyone else. Now I have gone an done it. I have thrown down the gauntlet. Your turn. :)
Just protecting my beautiful resonate Saturns.

No worries, I have one screw lugs on my Trick drums, and they sing like mad! If it's good enough for Trick...

Come to think of it, I have not heard anything bad about one screw lugs from ANY drum manufacturer, so play with confidence! They will not let you down.

Nothing that some small pieces of duct tape won't handle, lol.

The Nouveau lug studs on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute drums are attached using one hole.

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0036-1.jpg

Dennis

Well you must be old school. You drum on Ludwig. :) They are usually 20 years behind everyone else. Now I have gone an done it. I have thrown down the gauntlet. Your turn. :)
Just protecting my beautiful resonate Saturns.

You're right, I am old school. I like big strong lugs and I don't mind if the mount goes into the shell (I don't have to have a suspension mount).

The only time I'm not old school is with recording gear...there I want the latest and greatest in digital.

Back