Make your own lugs?

Why double sided lugs? What do they provide over the single sided lugs and why specifically for the snare? Tension dissipation? Less stress on the shell?

On a ~2mm metal snare, the torque applied on a single sided lug can exceed the force necessary to bend the shell. Using a double point lug can reduce this a bit, but using a double sided lug will neutralize the force almost entirely. This also applies to thin wood shells.

I imagine single ended and single point lugs work well on ~3mm casted and heavy-ply snares.

So, yes. Less lateral torque on the lug's point-of-contact of the shell.

To demonstrate, hammer a nail into a piece of wood. Tie a string to the end of the nail. Pull the string. Now hammer two nails into a piece of wood. Tie the two nails together (double point tube lug). Tie string to each nail and pull away from one another. Notice you can apply as much force as you want.

Ah, yes. Makes sense.

Sorry guys, I should have said that I'm building a stave snare, half inch thick.
Which is why I think I can get away with a single point lug then. (Hence my confusion. I was looking at it from this point of view.) The rest makes sense.

Sorry guys.

So, then, now that I have established that. A single point lug listed as being for a tom could still work? Or is the thought still double point is the way to go.

Thanks again for all the suggestions/comments I'm learning here, and really have enjoyed building this thing so far.

A single point lug listed as being for a tom could still work? Or is the thought still double point is the way to go.

Yes, a single-point lug could work. But I wouldn't risk the mechanical failure possibility in my work if I were you.

Single-point lugs work on toms and kicks because those heads are under less tension than snare heads. Snare drums are under a lot more tension, and the lugs need to be able to handle the forces involved.

On the extreme end of the tension spectrum, look at drum & bugle corps snares, like this one:

H96860000001001-00-250x250.jpg

All that metal is there to handle the stresses of A., tuning a Kevlar batter head tight enough to resemble a granite countertop, and B., rimshots with marching sticks, which are basically the size of tree trunks.

Marching snares used to look like this:

premier_snare.jpg

When tuning trended tighter and tighter, these drums collapsed under the strain. I ought to know; I destroyed several of them myself, to my horror. Even the long lugs couldn't handle the stresses involved.

The long and the short of it is that if you desperately want them, you can use single-ended lugs, which only take one tension rod. Drum companies do that all the time. But if you're wise, you'll do like the pro drum makers do, and ensure those single-ended lugs have two attachment screws each.

That means lugs like these are out:

2br-new.JPG

And lugs like this are in:

4a.JPG

And don't apologize for asking questions. We'd much rather you ask questions than destroy the drum you've slaved over because you were too milktoast to inquire. We want the drum p0rn pictures you'll post of the end result when it's done. ;-)

I don't have the machinery to make my own lugs but I had these made to my specs.

Attachments

• SOTALugsCULR.jpg
    SOTALugsCULR.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,833
Perhaps I have been to hasty in my dismissal of double point. I had/have a vision of what I thought the final product should look like.

I knew that the snare is under considerably more stress, but was convinced I could get away with a single point lug with the wall thickness of my shell. But now I'm thinking the while I may indeed get away with it, the smart play is double point. Maybe I was wrong, I can admit that…

Thank guys!

Vintage Old School those look great. Nicely done.

For this of you interested, this build had been fun. It has been easier than I thought but I have made a could mistakes, that I have left in the drum. The home made router jig for lathing the drum was secure which caused a rather large portion of wood to be removed from the inside. Rather than reduce the wall thickness I chose to leave it as is as a reminder.
Further, I had a failure in one of the stave that resulted in the drum breaking. I have corrected that and regaled and it all seems to be good. If not that's okay! I'm building another was soon as this gets done, so this poor guy was my learning drum. I plan on making a few more since I'm enjoying the process.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic of what it looks like so far. I'm in the process of adding the finish to the drum. Still work left to be done!

Late to the party but aside from being a drummer I am also a (manual) machinist and I just finished machining a set of snare lugs out of brass.

Making lugs isn't too hard if you know how to use machine tools.

Then again, I am used to machining very complex parts with very tight tolerances at my shop so that probably sways my opinion a bit...

Back