Ludwig Transition / WFL

Ethan01

I love my drum kit right now. It is:

16x26 modern Ludwig CM
1970's 10x14 tom (3-ply maple)
1959 16x16 and 16x18 ludwig transition badge floor toms

I'm trying to have a completely ludwig transition badge kid but I'm having an incredibly difficult time finding the rest of the pieces. This is obvious, cause these drums are quite rare anyways and much fewer were made pre-Beatles. My favorite are the 2 floor toms. They have so much depth and I think it's partly due to the old mahogany shells.

What I'm currently looking for is:

26" or 24" kick
13" or 14" tom

that's either a ludwig transition (my top pick!) or WFL. The shell should be clear mahogany interior. Money isn't really an object at this point, since this is my dream kit.

If you know anyone willing to sell these please let me know. I attached a pic of them in studio. I'll come back to post the album which I used these to record drums to.

Thanks for the look. Let me know if you have any additional questions about these!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 4.11.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 4.11.43 PM.png
    340.1 KB · Views: 489
Nice looking kit Ethan, I have to agree there is nothing quite like the old mahogany shells,and that's the most sensible sized reso hole I've seen. I revived an old Radio King kit a while back ( old mahogany ) and I thought I'd never get all the pieces I needed to complete it but I did eventually. Good luck with the search.

Well it's a transition badge or a WFL.The "T"badge was only used for around a year or so,between the WFL badge and the pre serial keystone badge.The 3 ply mahogany/poplar mahogany shells are escentially the same,except that some were begining to get a resocoat (white paint)interior finish,and some were not.Some were maple/mahogany/poplar,if the exterior was duco/painted or natural stain,but most were wrapped.

The early 70's 3 ply shells were maple/poplar/maple, and do sound slightly different than their early 60's cousins

Steve B

check on ebay religiously. You've actually got the most difficult drum to get from that era, which is the 18" floor tom. Either that, or the 14X10, which I don't think was even made till the later sixties (except maybe as a marching snare). The 13" toms are the easiest to find, followed by the kicks. The 24" would probably be easier to get, and the WFL badges will be the most likely find, as they were made for a longer period.

Is that Different Fur? :)

I love my drum kit right now. It is:

16x26 modern Ludwig CM
1970's 10x14 tom (3-ply maple)
1959 16x16 and 16x18 ludwig transition badge floor toms

I'm trying to have a completely ludwig transition badge kid but I'm having an incredibly difficult time finding the rest of the pieces. This is obvious, cause these drums are quite rare anyways and much fewer were made pre-Beatles. My favorite are the 2 floor toms. They have so much depth and I think it's partly due to the old mahogany shells.

What I'm currently looking for is:

26" or 24" kick
13" or 14" tom

that's either a ludwig transition (my top pick!) or WFL. The shell should be clear mahogany interior. Money isn't really an object at this point, since this is my dream kit.

If you know anyone willing to sell these please let me know. I attached a pic of them in studio. I'll come back to post the album which I used these to record drums to.

Thanks for the look. Let me know if you have any additional questions about these!

Back