Ludwig Legacy Mahogany

Iplayguitar

New to the forum... first post. In what is quite possibly one of the the most extraordinary examples of “being in the right place at the right time” ever, my son just acquired a like new Ludwig Legacy mahogany kit (matte mahogany finish) for a ridiculously low price. 3 Toms, 2 floor toms, snare, bass drum that looks just like the anniversary ”Van Buren” model. The guy selling it never used it, was moving and took a liking to my kid. Saw that he’d really use it (vs. just reselling it) and I think he just wanted it to go to a good home. Deal of the century. Anyone have any more info on this particular model?

It sounds incredible. Lucky kid....

Last edited:
definitely a super nice kit! it's interesting it has the small lug on all the drums- like the Neusonic's.

this kit was likely custom ordered right? based on the amount of drums and sizes?

definitely a super nice kit! it's interesting it has the small lug on all the drums- like the Neusonic's.

this kit was likely custom ordered right? based on the amount of drums and sizes?

The story goes that these were a prototype that were shown an NAMM around 2014/2015... hence the small lugs. The previous owner saw them at NAMM, loved them and tracked them down to purchase them. Not sure if that‘s true or not but that’s what the previous owner told us and he had no reason to lie. I’m a guitar and bass player; not a drummer...what’s the significance of smaller lugs vs larger lugs?

The story goes that these were a prototype that were shown an NAMM around 2014/2015... hence the small lugs. The previous owner ...... he had no reason to lie.
That sounds reasonable. End of a NAMM show, a lot of the floor models get sold off. More cost effective to sell then and there, than pack everything up, ship it back to the factory (or distribution warehouse) .... only to sell it off later.
I’m a guitar and bass player; not a drummer...what’s the significance of smaller lugs vs larger lugs?
Less mass mounted to the shell. There are some that would want that, but then there are those that would rather have the classic "iconic" large lug (especially on an Anniversary model). That your kit's a prototype ...... makes is a pretty rare kit. Sure, it could probably be special ordered ..... but how many people would. Might well be the only one of it's kind.

Not sure if that‘s true or not but that’s what the previous owner told us and he had no reason to lie.

yeah, I don't see any reason he would do that, unless he was trying to talk up the kit to jack the price. that doesn't sound like the case at all though. again, it is a very nice kit. I love the white pearl inlay on the bass drum hoop. do all the drums have the reinforcement rings on all the shells?

For a less restricted sounding drum, you want the smaller lugs. Less weight to restrict resonance of the shell.

I want to say that the Legacy line is their flagship series but I'd need confirmation.

You did good.

The story goes that these were a prototype that were shown an NAMM around 2014/2015... hence the small lugs.

This was the kit as introduced at NAMM in January, 2015*. Definitely not the smaller lugs, different bass drum legs, and it also has the smaller 'cast' badges. That's not to say your kit isn't pretty cool! The smaller lugs if anything would let the drums breathe a little bit more, so they're definitely not a detriment. The drums would be a little lighter as well. :)

NAMM15_LegacyMahogany.jpg

* It's possible that yours was a prototype from the Summer 2014 show, I'd have to contact someone who was working the booth at that show.

Last edited:
Back