Looking for a new ride

zephead19

Hey all
I play mostly rock with a little bit of jazz. I am looking for a ride to complement my ZHT Rock Ride which is a decent ride with good stick definition. I want a ride with nice crashability, good wash, and at least an average bell. I would like it to be anywhere from 18" to 20" and it could be a crash that meets the criteria if there is one you know of. Does the K Custom Hybrid 20" Ride fit the bill here? another other recommendations are welcome as well.

Take your ZHT into a GC and match your new ride to it.

I just got an A custom projection ride and I am not that impressed. It is nearly uncontrollable and I don't like the bell. It is a good step up from my previous ride, though (solar).

I just got an A custom projection ride and I am not that impressed. It is nearly uncontrollable and I don't like the bell. It is a good step up from my previous ride, though (solar).

Not to go into the wrong direction with this, but I had an A Custom Medium ride and thought the same thing. I unloaded it after just a couple months. A Customs seem to be very popular, but I haven't had any luck with them. They're good for crashing, but the ping is so shrill if you're not right on the bell, and the wash so hard to control...

I'd definitely look into that K Custom.

Check out a Paiste Twenty Ride. You can get them in Light or Regular. If you play mostly rock, but some jazz the Ride might suit you better than the Light.

Tim

If price isn't an issue (and I'm assuming it's not since your looking at a K series ride) maybe look into a Zildjian rezo ride. It looks damn cool, and it's got a nice wash and ping (in my opinion).

If price isn't an issue (and I'm assuming it's not since your looking at a K series ride) maybe look into a Zildjian rezo ride. It looks damn cool, and it's got a nice wash and ping (in my opinion).

Cool yeah I have saved up enough that i have like 400 to spend on cymbals and a new ride is what I really want so I am willing to dump most of it on that. Do you know if the ReZo crashes well or not? Thanks

There's a Rezo 21" ride on mycymbal.com and you can watch the guy play on it via the youtube clip. It's somewhat crashable, but might be too bright given the rock ride you're trying to complement with.

Cool yeah I have saved up enough that i have like 400 to spend on cymbals and a new ride is what I really want so I am willing to dump most of it on that. Do you know if the ReZo crashes well or not? Thanks

It was about a month ago since I played that specific cymbal at GC. At that time I was specifically looking for a distinctive ride, but I do recall it was one of the better, if not best, zildjian rides there at the time. It sounded like a good well rounded cymbal, I was actually surprised at the sound it made when you crash it. It had a very nice crash sound and ping from the bell, but was too washy for my taste (at the time) along the bow. I don't know it's something you'll have to try yourself, but to me it was one of the more versatile rides I've heard.

Also, you want want to scour ebay or craigslist and try to find a steal. With $400, you could get a couple of really nice used rides.

It was about a month ago since I played that specific cymbal at GC. At that time I was specifically looking for a distinctive ride, but I do recall it was one of the better, if not best, zildjian rides there at the time. It sounded like a good well rounded cymbal, I was actually surprised at the sound it made when you crash it. It had a very nice crash sound and ping from the bell, but was too washy for my taste (at the time) along the bow. I don't know it's something you'll have to try yourself, but to me it was one of the more versatile rides I've heard.

Also, you want want to scour ebay or craigslist and try to find a steal. With $400, you could get a couple of really nice used rides.

Ok thanks a lot nice time I have the chance I will definitely check out that ride. I am looking at buying used possibly as well... is that definitely a better choice (used over new)?

I just listened to it on mycymbal.com and I know that wont be perfect but from what I heard it may have just a little bit too much ping and a little less crashability than I am after, still a beautiful sounding ride though.

Last edited:
Sabian AAX Memphis ride. Just check it out. It's such a great versatile ride. IT's also from memphis drum shop. Also check out a Paiste 20 series ride.

Ok thanks a lot nice time I have the chance I will definitely check out that ride. I am looking at buying used possibly as well... is that definitely a better choice (used over new)?

Used or new? They both have there advantages and disadvantages in my opinion. With new stuff you can always try it out before you buy, hell you can even bring in your cymbals and compare them to see if the one you're looking at would sound right for you musical application. Not to mention the cymbal will be covered under some type of warranty. But the price tag blows chunks.

With used stuff you can find some cheap stuff if you're willing to hold out long enough. I picked up damn nice 20" Sabian Ride for about $80 (it retails around $200-250), but it took me about a month to find something I liked and was in my price range. And if it's ebay you've always got to worry about the last minute bidding war. Then there's the possibility of buying damaged cymbals that are cracked, bent, or keyholed. But if the description and pics are thorough and the seller's rating is in the upper 90's or so, it shouldn't be a problem. And you should be able to contact them if you have questions.

Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of these 3 rides i am thinking about:

20" ZIldjian K Custom Dry ride
22" Zildjian Z custom
20" Istanbul Agop Empire

The rest of my setup is mainly Sabian AAX (currently use the 20" stage ride), and this purchase will be for a secondary ride. I play mostly metal.

These 3 cymbals are all on ebay, but if there are any other reccomendations I'll take them!

Cheers!

I love my 22" Zildjian K Custom Medium Ride. It sounds great, both live and recorded.

I'm curious about the "rock with a little bit of jazz." What does a little bit of jazz mean?

Back