Live Electronics

Hello All

I was wondering what your opinions are on live electronics. Do you prefer to use a sample pad? If so, which model/make and why? - Are you a triggers kinda guy, or one who uses backing tracks?

I was just interested as this seems like an interesting and relevant topic in correlation to those being discussed ere.

Feel free to share your opinions and ideas

Dan x

I love live electronics, and have used them pretty regularly in my musical projects over the past 10 years or so. My modus operandi (inspired in parts by dub and avant-garde/experimental electroacoustic music) has simply been to amplify drums and objects with a mix of regular mics and contact mics, run everything through a small mixer (and maybe volume pedals) and process the sounds in real time with effects pedals and analog synth modules -- mostly filters, distortion, ring modulator, reverb, and delay.

The approach certainly has its limitations, but it works for me. I'm happy to not have to deal with programming or scrolling through menu options; modern electronic music gear does some amazing stuff, I just don't have the patience or enthusiasm to deal with it...

I've been using electronics on stage since 1985, in various forms and technologies. As Al's stage show has progressed over the last few decades, most tracks and seqeunces now come from a video server, not me. However, I still trigger sounds and occasional loops as needed.

My philosophy lately has been to simplify, and stay modern. That is, it's a plus to have current gear that's 1) supported by the maker and 2) easily replaceable or available as backline if needed.

I'd been using a Kurzweil K2000 (& 2600) with a Kat pad for sounds & sequences for almost 20 years. I've been trying for about 5 years to get away from those units (nice as the Kat is...) as the Kurz rack units are obsolete now. But I also don't need or want a software solution. The goal lately has been to get a standalone pad/module than can handle my needs.

Only recently has one come up, the Roland SPD-SX. It's not quite what I want or need, but it's the closest yet and I've been able to make it work. The good news is, it's current and replaceable/rentable as needed, and it's one piece - no extra cabling, and it travels very light compared to the 2 Kats & 2 Kurzes I've been dragging around in a large flight case.

Don't get me wrong, the Roland is a nice enough unit, but it's semi-pro at best. Anyone doing what I do, in the absence of rack modules/samplers today, should be using a laptop. But, that means also having an audio interace and the Kat pad in addition to the laptop. Not simpler by any stretch.

Bermuda

I use a variety of electronics live. Depends on the gig.
A lot of groups use backing tracks, for this I use the tracks off an ipod into a mixer that splits the signal to my in-ears and to the house. I also use triggers and pads from time to time.
I have a band right now that uses everything.

My kit is a kick that is miced and triggered with a sample. 2 snares, one is triggered, and a Floor Tom. I also have two Rack Toms and one Floor Tom that are all electronic pads. Plus, backing tracks. It's a lot of cables crap to rig up, but the bands sounds great live.

My triggers are modified ddrum triggers. Modified as in I installed new wires and piezos.
The pads I use are Yamaha TP-65's and I use the DTXplorer mod. I like the "fake" sounding drums

Back