Kobie Watkins

zambizzi

Platinum Member
This guy is incredible! I went and watched him play at a local club last week, and his chops are just phenomenal. I got in touch with him and I'll start taking some lessons with him when he gets back from a tour in Japan w/ Sonny Rollins. What a treat, to have someone of his caliber right here in lil' Boise!

It'll be pretty intimidating at first, but he's a very cool, friendly guy, so I have no doubt the lessons will be fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUGrrPeNUGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGldoDum0c

Wow, is he a hitter for a jazz guy! Loved it, especially the blues stuff. Lots going on, but wonderful control, flavours & dynamic. He sure knows how to use those chops to best move the music. What a great mentor, what an opportunity! Good luck bizzy boy!

Yeah, I'm way excited and can't wait to start. Maybe he can rebuild me better, faster, stronger than before?

He's definitely got some power but can be subtle enough to almost *not* be present, at times. The solos these guys were trading last week were amazing.

I'm taking the family down to the Blue Door for dinner, to watch them again tonight.

Had my first lesson with Kobie last night. Wow! What a master. He didn't talk much and got right down to business. He had me sit down and play for a few minutes, while he watched. As soon as I was done, he asked me what I'd like to improve in my playing. I said, "everything", of course. He picked right up on my flaws and explained it to me clearly and concisely. Super impressed! I went home *thrilled* and am already rethinking how I practice...especially with rudiments. I've already thrown out everything I thought I knew about playing the swing ride pattern, technique-wise.

What a difference a GREAT teacher can have in even one hour!

Must have been a buzzin' bizzi after that session! I'd love to find an inspiring teacher. I really need some help to blow the rust away, and help improve my technique so I can capitalise on my maturity in feel & dynamic. Living in the middle of nowhere can be great, but a pain if you want to find talented teachers. The local teaching pool is more of a tiny puddle.

Must have been a buzzin' bizzi after that session! I'd love to find an inspiring teacher. I really need some help to blow the rust away, and help improve my technique so I can capitalise on my maturity in feel & dynamic. Living in the middle of nowhere can be great, but a pain if you want to find talented teachers. The local teaching pool is more of a tiny puddle.

It was more than I expected, even. This guy is serious business! I like his "sit down, shut up, and play" approach, too. We didn't haggle over grip, stroke, and all the minutiae that some guys focus on. It was very much, "Here's how it should sound...make this sound while staying comfortable."

The choice of teachers here is normally very limited, too. Boise is very lucky to have the ArtsWest school, who is willing to bring in top players from out of town, to teach there. I'll support them to the best of my ability!

Otherwise, like you, I'd probably have to travel to find a great teacher.

This guy just played at the BYU-I campus yesterday, and I was just blown away! He is such an amazing player! I actually recorded a solo that he did during the concert-thing. It's on YouTube, called "Kobie Watkins drum solo" (original, right?) ;)

He was the artist in residence at the Arts West School Of Music here in Eagle, Idaho for about a year. All of his students speak the world of him and travel hundreds of miles to hang with him since he moved away. You're in good hands.

Back