Karen Carpenter

When I was younger, it was not cool to like The Carpenters. But now, I've come to appreciate the material, her amazing voice, and her obvious talent behind the kit, all gone to waste, and a damn shame she never got help for her problem.

I read that quote by Bonham. What a sexist remark, but very typical male chest beating at that time.

When I was younger, it was not cool to like The Carpenters. But now, I've come to appreciate the material, her amazing voice, and her obvious talent behind the kit, all gone to waste, and a damn shame she never got help for her problem.

I read that quote by Bonham. What a sexist remark, but very typical male chest beating at that time.
What an unreal singer she was. I once heard Ella Fitzgerald describe her singing. She said Karen's voice had mystery. I think that was a spot on description.

Sheila E on Karen Carpenter:
“She just happened to be a woman, but she was an incredible musician. She was an incredible drummer. And her chops, the things that she played on drums and percussion… to be able to play vibes as well, musically, and playing jumps — I mean, she was not faking what she was doing. That was real,” Sheila continues emphatically. “Those rudiments and different rhythms and things that she had played, I can't play, not to this day. I cannot play the things that she played. Absolutely not.”

The entire article, can be found here:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...ion--the-attention-it-deserved-214633061.html

Back