Kansas City or St. Louis music scenes?

Poleaux

I’m seriously thinking about relocating to Missouri and am trying to decide whether to try out Kansas City or the St. Louis area. Does anyone here have experience – either good or bad – about those areas? I imagine the music scenes in both areas are quite healthy, but haven’t been there in so long, that I’m pretty sure it’s changed a lot.

I have been to both and spent considerable time in both.

We found a lot more jazz and blues in St Louis than KC. The St Louis downtown also seemed brighter more energetic clean and more vibrant. St Louis seemed a newer more shiny city, with lots of jazz and blues. The St Louis Jazz Society owns their own venue and produces shows 5-7 days a week with local and national acts.

IN KC I hung out Friday and Saturday nites (well, early mornings 1am-5am) at The Mutual Musicians' Foundation Building, where show started at midnight. But that was just before COVID. I don't know if they're still doing that. While in town, besides that historic venue, I could not find a lot of other jazz or blues. The jazz museum was underwhelming.

If I wanted to move and my 2 choices were KC or St Louis, I'd choose St Louis. If not for the music then for everything else about the city.

I have been to both and spent considerable time in both.

We found a lot more jazz and blues in St Louis than KC. The St Louis downtown also seemed brighter more energetic clean and more vibrant. St Louis seemed a newer more shiny city, with lots of jazz and blues. The St Louis Jazz Society owns their own venue and produces shows 5-7 days a week with local and national acts.

IN KC I hung out Friday and Saturday nites (well, early mornings 1am-5am) at The Mutual Musicians' Foundation Building, where show started at midnight. But that was just before COVID. I don't know if they're still doing that. While in town, besides that historic venue, I could not find a lot of other jazz or blues. The jazz museum was underwhelming.

If I wanted to move and my 2 choices were KC or St Louis, I'd choose St Louis. If not for the music then for everything else about the city.
Thanks, this is very good and useful info

I’m seriously thinking about relocating to Missouri and am trying to decide whether to try out Kansas City or the St. Louis area. Does anyone here have experience – either good or bad – about those areas? I imagine the music scenes in both areas are quite healthy, but haven’t been there in so long, that I’m pretty sure it’s changed a lot.
I am in KC but won't claim any expertise on the actual music scene. If you do FaceBook, try KC Drum Ambassadors. Methinks it is a pretty active blues and jazz scene.

Not sure what kind of music you're into but Knuckleheads is a pretty cool blues venue in KC. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of jazz either. But they lost their 5-star drum shop (Explorers) last year or so.

A lot of touring acts stop in KC,...and StL for that matter. You would be pretty set either way there.

I grew up outside StL so I kinda have a soft spot for that town. Home of the best rock radio station in the world, KSHE95, tons of great food, music venues of all sizes and flavors, major sports team in just about every sport, the Gateway Arch, Bowling Hall of Fame (yes, seriously), and I think it's easier to navigate around town versus KC. More alternate routes to avoid traffic...

Random...can anyone that lives near there confirm if Dirt Cheap Liquors is still a thing? I grew up with those commercials. Cheap! Cheap! IYKYK...

I am in KC but won't claim any expertise on the actual music scene. If you do FaceBook, try KC Drum Ambassadors. Methinks it is a pretty active blues and jazz scene.
Thanks. How do you like KC in general? Are you happy and comfortable living there?

Thanks. How do you like KC in general? Are you happy and comfortable living there?
For a transplanted small town rural guy, KC is fine. Been here thirty plus years. Safe ... sure at least as anywhere. Happy ... I am ready to get back to me roots.

I see someone mentioned Knuckleheads. It is a premier establishment. I used to do blues jams there, but I haven't been in years. Lots of videos on YouTube of bands performing in that venue. There are also loads of festivals around the area every summer.

There are several other clubs that also have open jams for blues and jazz-- depending on the venue of course. Explorers Percussion did close just over a year ago. However, there is a new shop opened in Overland Park--I think. There are also a couple of boutique drum builders in the city. C&C Drums is in Gladstone north of the river. There is also a Standard Drum Co. I've not seen any of their stuff. WFL III is also in the area but not sure where exactly. KCDA (KC Drum Ambassadors) puts on a drum show on Kansas side most years. It is usually in late May or June. Kind of lost track with the pandemic messing things up there for a bit.

You could also check the KC Blues Society for more info on clubs and jams and so forth. I wish I could be of more help. I am visually impaired and not all that involved in the scene these days.

there has been a lot of talk here in KC last year or so about building a new downtown ballpark for the Royals. That effort failed here a week ago in the election, but that isn't necessarily the end of it. DT ballpark is supposed to mean revitalized DT and more restaurants and bars and such. Of course, I have no clue if any of those will turn out to be music venues or even if they will get their DT ballpark.

Don't forget that Lawrence (Kansas University) is about 40-minutes away and Topeka another 20 or so. And as far as I know, UMKC still has their conservatory. And then we have a winning football team, something St. Louis will never have.

The Green Lady Lounge in KC is one of the most hoppin jazz clubs I've seen around, I highly suggest going and catching the Reyes Brothers Organ Trio. That group is so killin. Knuckleheads is awesome as well, there's several rooms there of different sizes. I really dig the hospitality of that place, and it has a kind of cool bayou sort of vibe inside - I kind of half expect to open the door and see a swamp with some gators whenever I walk out the front door.

The Green Lady Lounge in KC is one of the most hoppin jazz clubs I've seen around, I highly suggest going and catching the Reyes Brothers Organ Trio. That group is so killin. Knuckleheads is awesome as well, there's several rooms there of different sizes. I really dig the hospitality of that place, and it has a kind of cool bayou sort of vibe inside - I kind of half expect to open the door and see a swamp with some gators whenever I walk out the front door.
I used to do the jams at Knuckleheads back when they were first opened. In those days, you could sit and play pretty much as long as you wanted. Last couple of times, I never even got close on the list before bailing. Looked to me like the PROS took it over and pretty much bogarted the jam. Some are like that; others are not. It is all cool just not my thing.

I lived in St. Louis most of my life (now retired in Florida). I know very little about Kansas City except the couple of visits and it appears to be the sister city to St. Louis in similar ways.
St. Louis has always been an excellent music town, but it has definitely evolved. Growing up, the downtown Riverfront was just amazing with bars/clubs/venues for all kinds of music. That has somewhat evaporated. There are still some good intimate clubs downtown but new venues migrating around to the county and St. Charles.
St. Louis Music Scene

Back