Just playing around with my current setup

Impressive playing Porter. Great job and keep posting...

Your snare and toms sound just awesome-nice tunings. Nice playing and noodling as well. I also like the over head cam, and like how you have your toms set up like Bernhard Purdie and other with the 12 then 10. I really, really like that video you did awhile back. Come Hell and something something I think?? -anyways that one just blew me away.

Thanks, y'all!

Your snare and toms sound just awesome-nice tunings. Nice playing and noodling as well. I also like the over head cam, and like how you have your toms set up like Bernhard Purdie and other with the 12 then 10. I really, really like that video you did awhile back. Come Hell and something something I think?? -anyways that one just blew me away.

Good to hear about the snare, I was going to use my Oriollo but one of the lugs broke again so it's taking some R&R and I just threw that old head on the Taye. Glad you enjoyed Come Hell or High Water too!! Still very happy with that one.

If anyone is curious about the snare - no compression on it (actually no compression anywhere except on the full mix). The MXL V63ms just have really great pickup of the drum transients and the marching sticks (somewhere around 50% heavier than a standard 5A) help me get that thick sound too.

I enjoyed it also. Nice playing and good tuning.

I like the sound you get from your drums. We have a similar outlook on recording in terms of overhead dominance. I would say the level of the snare is a little high in the mix for me but the sound you're getting from the kick has a lovely weight that I've always found hard to achieve.

I should find out if the studio at work (I'm a technician in a school) would be available over the summer. Could have some fun!

Very nice all round - both playing & drum sound :) Always a fan of driving as much sound from the overheads as practically possible. A good sounding kit really helps in opening up that balance choice - especially live stage. I tend to take an opposite approach to many live stage engineers in that regard.

the sound you're getting from the kick has a lovely weight that I've always found hard to achieve.
That's got "I'm a chunky stave shell" written all over it - that, & the pronounced 120Hz bump of the wood species.

I've been trying to indoctrinate the kids at work into the mindset that you spend 75% of your mic time setting up the overheads... they seem to believe me. Which is a relief.

It is a very nice bass drum sound... I will remember that 120Hz bump.

That's actually great to hear about the bass drum! I have never known what I was doing with recorded bass drum sounds but having both heads really very low seems to be working out (3" ported clear g1 on reso, clear Emad2 on batter w/ no muffle ring, EQ pad mostly only reso, 2.5" port in bass drum shell, cheap-ass mic all the way inside). Here's the EQ I used on it:

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-10%20at%206.38.42%20PM.png

With the quite low tuning I've found that this lowly 20x15" is actually putting out some ridiculous low frequencies down to 40Hz. I assume proximity effects and such are contributing to that a bit, but hey, Musical Acoustic Physics is next semester for me ;)

Oh, and the overheads are farther in that usual – a lot better pickup of toms from them as such! I think I'll keep them as such.

Back