Jazz Musicians Playing the Music of Rush

For the ones who don´t know Brad Meldau (p) here with some Jazz guys:

I played with the leader of this session a tour in 1995, Walt Weiskopf (sx)

Walt Weiskopf Alex Sanguinetti.jpg

Last edited:
Did not like.
But thank you for bringing attention to the production, Paul.

It took me a long time to accept Geddy's voice, but now I have a whole new appreciation for it. This almost sounds like Jon Anderson on vox.

This one is a bit more "jazzy" (ironic considering who the leader is), IMO, but I'm certainly no expert as to what qualifies as "jazz".

Is that required to be considered jazz? Asking for a friend.

Well then define it for me. I mean, I do feel like an entire evening of straight 8ths/16ths would not be jazz lol

yes jazzswing is triplet based (said one friend..

Well then define it for me. I mean, I do feel like an entire evening of straight 8ths/16ths would not be jazz lol
It was a legitimate question. I honestly don't know. It wasn't meant as bait for a debate.

Never mind, as my question derails the thread and could easily turn into an 80 page opinion-fest. I will edit my post. Thanks

It was a legitimate question. I honestly don't know. It wasn't meant as bait for a debate.

Never mind, as my question derails the thread and could easily turn into an 80 page opinion-fest. I will edit my post. Thanks

Then define jazz. The only definitions I can think of are

1. It swings

2. The ride cymbal or the hi-hats are the most important thing happening in the drums, bass drum is the LEAST important, versus rock, which is the reverse

Back