It's official - people don't want you to make a rhythm

You have the best job in the world.
My next door neighbor's house burned down and I thought I could help put it out with their hose because it looked small from outside the window, but inside it was pretty big. The old man and his dog who wouldn't leave his side didn't make it.
My firefighter friend said it wouldn't have done any good to use the garden hose, but it also wouldn't hurt anything. I was worried about doing something wrong and causing smoke or some such thing an untrained person might do.

So I suppose they have a bit of a point in not wanting people to run into fires, nevertheless, I have three extinguishers in my house.

Thanks, it is a great job!

In that situation you'd be fine to try and put water in, but with such a low volume it is extremely unlikely to have any effect on a fire already burning at high intensity. Even with a 38mm hose (which is our standard fire attack hose), I've dumped water into fires and felt like I was wasting my time.

Honestly, if my neighbour's house was on fire my first move would be to bang on the doors and windows and shout to see if they could hear me, and then I'd be going for water. There are actually two reasons not to go back into a burning building - the first obviously being your personal safety, but the second being that opening doors and windows can then lead to an influx of oxygen which could make the fire significantly worse.

Don't get me started on safety...

I'm an electrician and spend most work days on industrial sites where safety is taken to a whole other level. I have to wear gloves just to walk around site. My hi vis neon yellow shirts are not deemed hi vis enough on some sites because they have 1 inch reflective stripes instead of 2 inch reflective stripes. On certain sites I have to tie off with a full harness if I'm working more than 4 steps high on a ladder, quite often to something not high enough to prevent me from hitting the floor anyway if I did fall, which is more likely because I have a lanyard that I can get tangled in. I have to wear foam rimmed safety glasses that seal to the face instead of the regular kind so that as soon as I exert myself, they fog up. I guess it's more important to keep dust out of my eyes than to actually be able to see what I'm doing. I'm not allowed to wear my hard hat backwards (it is specifically designed to be worn backwards) so the peak sticking out in front impairs my ability to see anything just over my head. I'm 6'5", so that means I'm constantly ringing my head off scaffold tubes, pipes, and cable tray all day long.

I could go on and on. In a lot of cases, there is so little common sense going on that some safety policies actually make working more dangerous.

I'm an electrician and spend most work days on industrial sites where safety is taken to a whole other level. I have to wear gloves just to walk around site. My hi vis neon yellow shirts are not deemed hi vis enough on some sites because they have 1 inch reflective stripes instead of 2 inch reflective stripes. On certain sites I have to tie off with a full harness if I'm working more than 4 steps high on a ladder, quite often to something not high enough to prevent me from hitting the floor anyway if I did fall, which is more likely because I have a lanyard that I can get tangled in. I have to wear foam rimmed safety glasses that seal to the face instead of the regular kind so that as soon as I exert myself, they fog up. I guess it's more important to keep dust out of my eyes than to actually be able to see what I'm doing. I'm not allowed to wear my hard hat backwards (it is specifically designed to be worn backwards) so the peak sticking out in front impairs my ability to see anything just over my head. I'm 6'5", so that means I'm constantly ringing my head off scaffold tubes, pipes, and cable tray all day long.

I could go on and on. In a lot of cases, there is so little common sense going on that some safety policies actually make working more dangerous.

I don't do industrial work, but I fully understand what you endure. Trying to be safe, they make it unsafe to be safe. This is why I prefer residential work. It's insane the hoops you have to jump through. Fully tethered of course.

Dont get me started on hard hats. The only thing a hard hat has ever hit whilst I was wearing one on building sites was scaffolding tubes, and If I hadnt been wearing the stupid hat I wouldnt have come into contact with the scaffolding tubes anyway.

But what all the above has to do with tapping a bean tin with your fingers is open to debate. This all started with that stupid woman in America who burned her mouth on a cup of hot coffee. She sued the company that served her the hot coffee.....and won. How mental is that?????

We now have notices on lots of sinks in public toilets saying "Caution....Hot water is Hot."

Dont get me started on hard hats. The only thing a hard hat has ever hit whilst I was wearing one on building sites was scaffolding tubes, and If I hadnt been wearing the stupid hat I wouldnt have come into contact with the scaffolding tubes anyway.

But what all the above has to do with tapping a bean tin with your fingers is open to debate. This all started with that stupid woman in America who burned her mouth on a cup of hot coffee. She sued the company that served her the hot coffee.....and won. How mental is that?????

We now have notices on lots of sinks in public toilets saying "Caution....Hot water is Hot."

Not to distract from your point, but in the case you're referring to McDonald's was found to be serving coffee at unreasonably high temperatures; the Plaintiff was hospitalised and required skin grafts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

Not to distract from your point, but in the case you're referring to McDonald's was found to be serving coffee at unreasonably high temperatures; the Plaintiff was hospitalised and required skin grafts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

Sadly its not possible to heat water above boiling point, so it was a none argument. Coffee is supposed to be served hot, and there is no legislation that states how hot is hot. People often return drinks cos they are not hot enough.

If someone is stupid enough not to notice steam rising from a cup, and drink enough of it so they need skin grafts then they should not be out in public un supervised. Another example of the "Stupid gene".

There is still money to be made with the desserts. I almost got frostbite eating a McD icecream. It didn't say cold on it, so how are people supposed to know?
And when I left work this evening there was no "caution, dark" sign at the door and I almost bumped into something. Smells like big money.

Sadly its not possible to heat water above boiling point, so it was a none argument. Coffee is supposed to be served hot, and there is no legislation that states how hot is hot. People often return drinks cos they are not hot enough.

If someone is stupid enough not to notice steam rising from a cup, and drink enough of it so they need skin grafts then they should not be out in public un supervised. Another example of the "Stupid gene".

I linked the Wikipedia article because it has a good balance of information about the case. I thought it might help your understanding. I guess it's kind of off-topic for a drumming forum, so I apologise for that.

I linked the Wikipedia article because it has a good balance of information about the case. I thought it might help your understanding. I guess it's kind of off-topic for a drumming forum, so I apologise for that.

No reason whatsoever to apologise my friend, it just winds me up that foolish people can make money from there own stupidity, and set a president that costs businesses and us money. Also it makes for the crazy H and S society we now have to endure.

We're all outraged, but Heinz have received more publicity than the ad would ever have engendered, people are watching the ad on YT and some Pom idiocy has created worldwide buzz for them. If I was a Heinz ad exec I'd be hugging myself with delight right now.

Very true. No publicity is bad publicity!

Water can be superheated like geysers in Yellowstone. Besides superheated they can be drastically acidic or basic-as some poor fellow fell in one recently was reportedly "dissolved". I'm like WTH. Well seems short sided because besides the threat of ripping a finger or God forbid your winkie get caught in that thang there is the actual eating of the beans and the obvious logical contribution of direct man-made green houses gases to the environment and "forcing" of global warming. OMG it's like a double whammy. Then too what if the idiot tapping on the can is tone deaf and couldn't carry a tune-noise pollution. Gene flow has spread the Stupid gene everywhere so it's too late to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Well, if we'd just stop protecting the stupid then they'll weed themselves out. Problem solved!

An infuriating aspect of going to work on construction sites these days (or a completely hilarious one, depending on your mood on any given day) is the presence of safety personnel with absolutely no trade experience whatsoever walking around site telling you how to do your job safely. A perfect example of the stupid gene perpetuating itself.

Attachments

• rps20161124_101019.jpg
    rps20161124_101019.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 161
Back