Is your gig pedal and practice pedal the same?

I use different pedals, at home I use Speed Cobra dbl with trick aluminum beaters and gigs I use a single Iron Cobra with a Danmar wood beater. My gigs don't require dbl kick and at home I'm likely to play about anything and I don't have to set up and break down pedals if I leave the S C pedals set up at home.

Eliminator Redline strap drive, both a double pedal and two singles (use singles at practice, and for live as well if there is a doublebass kit). Feel it's best to practice with the same pedal as you use live, so not to get surprised in any way at a gig.

Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide chain drive at home . Yamaha FP9 strap drive at band practice and gigs. Never a problem for me. I ut wouldn't mind 2 FP9's as its a great pedal but can't be bothered selling the Tama.

I use two single Axis A’s on my kit with two bass drums, and a DW 5000 double pedal with a Trick driveshaft on my single bass drum kit. I’m doing this because I can’t afford an Axis A double pedal.

The FP9's on the other hand are a totally different animal. I use them on gigs that have more double kick as they allow me to play at much faster tempos. Anything that's just single kick or little double I'll use the 9500C.
I know this thread is about kick pedals, but just curious; do you also play the new FP9 hi hat??

I only have 1 pedal right now, a Tama classic pedal.

My first thought was that it's an ugly pedal, but I love it very much. I don't have many different scenarios other then me sitting behind the kit at around 19:00 every evening and using the same pedal all the time.

(I decided to talk anyway :ROFLMAO: because the Tama Classic is ugly but, I love it!)

All the same. DW5000's - 4 of them, two double pedals (one for gigging, one for practice) & two single pedals (one for practice set in lockout studio, one extra at home).

I gig and rehearse with completely different pedals and drum sets - at least three of each.

I never, ever want to get so accustomed to anything that I get thrown for a loop when confronted with a different setup. Been there, done that. Not letting it happen again.

Last edited:
At jams the pedal settings always feel different.

Yep, I play an entirely different setup actually.

DW-5000 gg pedal
Yamaha 700 series pedal at main bands rehearsal space
Pearl double pedal, single chain that I cannot stand at my rock bands rehearsal space. the slave is no good and the main pedal is just weak.

one of the two beast models I don't use:

lxz4keps6wcun4kj7vmh.jpg

It has "room for six occupants and small apartment upstairs for a family of 4"
mine's like new compared with that rustbucket and I may have swiped the beater to use elsewhere
Wow it has a heck of radical cam/throw

one of the two beast models I don't use:

lxz4keps6wcun4kj7vmh.jpg

It has "room for six occupants and small apartment upstairs for a family of 4"
mine's like new compared with that rustbucket and I may have swiped the beater to use elsewhere

Now that's a blast from my past.
My first real matching pair of pedals were King Beats. They were very heavy and sluggish, but I feel like they made me that much faster. When I finally got a (mismatched) pair of DW5000, it was a night and day difference.

To answer the OP's question; Yes, I play the same pedals on both kits. I have two Axis AL-2s set up to feel the same, but one is split into two singles.

Always the same model, settings & beater.

Back