Is walnut and birch material high end stuff?

Aren't we saying the same thing? A quick scan over your article says that wide rings happen when there is abundant water availability...which allows the tree to grow faster.

No, it saying that when there is lack of water, a colder climate produces wider rings than a hot climate. A wider rings tree is not as healthy as a thin ringed one. The more water, the thinner the rings, the more dense the wood. A denser wood is more resistant to bugs, disease, rot, etc. Being that 1 ring = 1 year, the trees are growing at the same rate.

As for forest vs plantation, the tree has no idea where it is growing. That idea is just silly.

As for forest vs plantation, the tree has no idea where it is growing. That idea is just silly.

True, trees do not have a consciousness. But again, some seedlings may require the shade of a forest to survive. That's just one example of the difference between a forest and a tree farm. Believe me, it's not as simple as you think it is.

True, trees do not have a consciousness. But again, some seedlings may require the shade of a forest to survive. That's just one example of the difference between a forest and a tree farm. Believe me, it's not as simple as you think it is.

Yeah I get that, same thing with plants. Some require direct sunlight or they may not survive, and some will die in direct sunlight. This is why I can have palm trees in Arkansas. We have the sunlight and humidity, but it gets too cold in the winter. Palm trees wouldn't look right in my woods anyways amongst the oaks, pine, and cedars. We also have honey locusts, those trees are cool.

My interpretation to the OP's thread question is: Walnut and birch of good quality are fine choices used by several manufacturer's of great sounding drums. Yamaha, Tama, Sonor etc...
Here's one company's take on the sound characteristics of those wood species.
note: scroll half way down this page- http://www.noblecooley.com/solid-shell-classics

No, it saying that when there is lack of water, a colder climate produces wider rings than a hot climate. A wider rings tree is not as healthy as a thin ringed one. The more water, the thinner the rings, the more dense the wood. A denser wood is more resistant to bugs, disease, rot, etc. Being that 1 ring = 1 year, the trees are growing at the same rate.

Mr IP, I think you are misreading.

The article says:

"At locations where tree growth is limited by water availability, trees will produce wider rings during wet and cool years than during hot and dry years and the rings are wider. "

I've added emphasis. That sentence says that wider rings happen when there is more water, which is when the tree grows faster, which is when the rings will be wider.

Like everything, the quality of wood impacting sonic performance is contextual based on the total construction, including shell type. Even then, it's nuance rather than night & day.

Specifically on wood quality within the same species. There's aesthetic quality (the usual grading of boards), as well as structural quality (lack of knots / shakes, density, etc). It's only the structural quality consideration that affects performance. For example, a more dense structure will deliver a very different tonal response in a thin solid shell construction, but much less so in a ply construction, and even less as part of a multi species ply layup.

As for tree growth speed - plantations are managed spaces allowing sufficient light & sustenance for each tree. Old forests are very different. Not always the case, but typically, trees in the middle of the forest grow more slowly due mainly to a reduction of available light (hence tighter growth rings = more dense). Middle forest trees are also typically older due to less access for felling. Climate has a big impact too. Far Northern species tend to exhibit slower growth due to lower temperatures and sunlight hours / power.

Especially applicable to Birch, Northern climate trees taken from forests are highly prized, and very very different to birch grown in plantations in warmer climates. In terms of sonic response, they can be regarded as a completely different material. The vast majority of birch is grown for the decorative ply applied to construction boards. This is literally 95% + of the birch industry, and the sheet source that almost all drum manufactures draw from. Birch sheets are a very economical material. Obtaining high quality birch boards (1"+ thick) outside of the fine furniture industry is actually quite difficult. Worth remembering that the drum industry requirement for birch is an inconsequential volume compared to construction requirements. Nobody grows trees commercially to make drums.

Mr IP, I think you are misreading.

The article says:

"At locations where tree growth is limited by water availability, trees will produce wider rings during wet and cool years than during hot and dry years and the rings are wider. "

I've added emphasis. That sentence says that wider rings happen when there is more water, which is when the tree grows faster, which is when the rings will be wider.

Maybe so, that sentence is misleading. As I reread it, it can work both ways. Either way, ring size is climate and water related.

WOW! This is a very interesting post and it makes a lot of sense. Very glad ANDY put his 2 cents in on it. I think Andy is one of the most knowledgeable experts on drum making in the world and I wish I could have gotten together the money needed to get a GURU kit. Oh well, that's life as all the people say. Love ya Andy from Bill in New Orleans.

WOW! This is a very interesting post and it makes a lot of sense. Very glad ANDY put his 2 cents in on it. I think Andy is one of the most knowledgeable experts on drum making in the world and I wish I could have gotten together the money needed to get a GURU kit. Oh well, that's life as all the people say. Love ya Andy from Bill in New Orleans.
Thank you for your kind words Bill. I'm just a guy who knows a bit about what excites me, & has walked the journey.

Maybe so, that sentence is misleading. As I reread it, it can work both ways. Either way, ring size is climate and water related.

Which relates to the rate - A rate is a distance over time. The tree ring grew more (greater distance, thickness) in that same amount of time (a year). Right?
So for the same species, thicker ring = faster growth
And yes for a thicker ring = usually more optimal conditions for more growth in that year (temp, moisture, and 'growing degree days' which relate to climate)
Everybody's correct.

To be sure, some trees are far better adapted to a plantation (monoculture) than others (in natural or mixed stands). Walnut does not do well in monoculture stands and is usually planted in with other species.

Back