Is there a known bpm limit to how fast a drummer can play?

Sounds like an echo effect is being applied.

I.E. he's not going that fast. It just sounds like it.
Do you know that for sure or are you guessing? Anyways they are in a large auditorium to so the echo would make sense... And call it feeling but I really do feel like he's going that fast and that propeller noise would make sense if you listen to that bpm video I posted.

Last edited:
I have no idea the bpm of this. As a death metal guy, I'm gonna guess he is doing heel/toe between 4 different pedals. Like 2 pedals each side, one for each drum, and the inside pedal is toe and the outside is heel. This is just a guess. IIRC Bobby Rock used to do the same thing.

???

Are you talking about the section where he is gradually going faster?

He's playing a Simmons pad with his hands only. Look at this video from 1988: starts about 2:34 in.

???

Are you talking about the section where he is gradually going faster?

He's playing a Simmons pad with his hands only. Look at this video from 1988: starts about 2:34 in.
Much better, he is just doing extremely fast buzz rolls. Couldn't see it in the other video.

I cant find a video of what I thought he was doing. I've seen Bobby Rock do it, its impressive, thought maybe AVH did it also with his 4 kick drums as well.

What about at different stick heights like 1", 6" and 12" etc. since it would be less at higher heights I could imagine based on experience. What about push pull, buzzroll, double stroke techniques etc.? Is the idea that it is unknown how fast any one drummer could be that much faster by margins, and is just not yet known on such a "wide scale?, to put into question what extremes "their" human body can be pushed to with time and practice, since we are not all genetically designed the exact same?

I've actually just written a new track to play that I think is probably a new record on speed drumming. Its at 2376bpm, although I reckon I could push that a bit higher. It's in time signature of 1:64, and is only 1 bar long, like speed over stamina, right? I've attached the sheet music here 'scuse my terrible hand-writing
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-27 at 17.46.31.jpeg

I've actually just written a new track to play that I think is probably a new record on speed drumming. Its at 2376bpm, although I reckon I could push that a bit higher. It's in time signature of 1:64, and is only 1 bar long, like speed over stamina, right? I've attached the sheet music here 'scuse my terrible hand-writing
View attachment 102798

Pfft n00b. Times have moved on. That might have been fast back in the 70s, but that's collegiate level at best these days.

Well he is playing two floor toms too at the same time at least in the beginning correct? It's hard to see by the film quality/perspective. Is he alternating between toms and kick drums? Could you say what pattern he is playing between instruments even if not the setup you describe? I saw this video a few months ago on youtube (i tried to look for it just now and couldn't find it) that shows a beat/frequency going from very slow to fast and by the end you see the beat go so fast that it has no gaps and sounds like high pitched lasers lol. Would be interesting to design a robot to go this fast only to hear it on a physical kit, since I would imagine maybe a robot could do it and not a human but what do i know hahaha.

Edit I was actually able to find the video with the right search terms...
Exactly as PorkPie mentioned after a bit it sounds like a fart, a bug then noise. It isn’t musical . Well I don’t know they call beans the musical fruit lol. I can play faster with one hand than the other so playing together slows me down . My left hand is faster than my right dominant hand. My right hand can’t play continuous single or double stroke rolls or buzz rolls like my left hand. It’s a lil oscillator snd it can do so independent of what I tap with right. My secret weapon you may notice on some of my videos.

Last edited:
View attachment 102798
Lol well l came to understand yesterday under revelation by God that I guess unless by otherwise electronic manipulation, any acoustic percussive instrument (guitar, drum, piano or otherwise) will not hold it's note except for a limited duration. A wind instrument is different obviously, yet still involves stamina, versus the effortless playing of a single drum hit for example. At least this method of playing would eliminate the need for any electroninic manipulation for static sustain for any instrument that is struck, which of course today is useless with said electronics other than for show etc...

Last edited:
Much better, he is just doing extremely fast buzz rolls. Couldn't see it in the other video.

I cant find a video of what I thought he was doing. I've seen Bobby Rock do it, its impressive, thought maybe AVH did it also with his 4 kick drums as well.
He's definitely playing kicks drums in that solo at least as he builds, but it sounds like maybe at the buzz roll area, he stops and then maybe adds them back in as he slows down?... Edit nevermind not sure

Last edited:
Exactly as PorkPie mentioned after a bit it sounds like a fart, a bug then noise. It isn’t musical . Well I don’t know they call beans the musical fruit lol. I can play faster with one hand than the other so playing together slows me down . My left hand is faster than my right dominant hand. My right hand can’t play continuous single or double stroke rolls or buzz rolls like my left hand. It’s a lil oscillator snd it can do so independent of what I tap with right. My secret weapon you may notice on some of my videos.
Life is too big and varied for anyone to label what is music or not. Sorry man. I don't agree with the rest of the world. I'm okay with that....

A long time ago now, I thought I'd be a genius and replace talent with more gear, that common amateur mistake, so I bought 2 of these:
duallist.jpg

Didn't go according to plan, basically the cam release on the second beater makes for an "and" hit, so with one foot you play 1, 2, 3, 4 and get 1&2&3&4& (which you can disengage/re-engage with a heel) Anthrax drummer uses one if I remember rightly.
Anyway....suffice to say my poor drummer skills at the time were not really up to the inevitable playing of: 1e--2e--3e--4e-- to get the 1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a that I was going for. I mean, I could,but not tightly or at speeds to make it worth doing!
Still got them - I keep toying with getting them out again but feel I need to master my foot technique before dabbling with cheating. I'm up for them, but want to feel they 100% add to my abilities, not just cover up my lack thereof!

I'm not talking about playing fast musically just there is a physical limit to human hearing beyond that it's noise. Here is a drumless track I was noodling and recorded with Zoom video/camera and then used my iPhone to record playback 1.5X speed (which sounds cool) and then played and recorded that 1.5X speed (which is losing distinction). It just becomes a blur.

Since I've lost a lot of hearing my wife plays her radio but not to loud. I can barely hear it and sometimes what I think I hear gets filled in to be a certain song. I can turn up the volume and immediately recognize the song-and man my brain heard it all wrong and filled it all wrong. I've done that at the pool with a public radio-I'm not wearing my aids. I hear a song start tapping along-put on my aids it's not the song I was tapping to ROFL. I quit gigging because I lost confidence it what I was hearing and I had a big drop in hearing-I feared messing up thinking I was hearing something else. I can hear sounds but often can't discriminate what it is or where it comes from. I wasn't sure how I tuned my drums or my playing sounded to others-was it the same or am I "hearing it" differently. Changed my whole perception of perception. I actually considered selling all my drum stuff and quitting. Then I realized how much I just love playing drums-it doesn't have to be pretty, sound good, or anything really. Now if I was gigging-yes-but now I can noodle, doodle, fiddle, or faddle and it's like Milk it does a body good LOL

Somewhere around 200 bpm, my feeling a pulse in quarter notes fades, and becomes a half note pulse.
I think it's related to how fast (and slowly) our hearts can beat? Because it's the same when bpm is below 40.
That's not really the question here though is it?
They say human hearing goes down to about 40 hz. 40 per second times 60 seconds equals 2400 bpm

Back