Is That Even Legal? Second Bass Pedal on the Left

paedubucher

Hi there.

I recently got into drumming again with a Roland TD-27. I had some issues placing my second bass pedal, after which the Hi-Hat was too far away from the snare, and the drum computer was very far on the left. It also was inconvenient to play, for my left leg was right at the snare, and my right leg far more to the right of it.

All of a sudden, I had the audacity of moving the second bass pedal to the left of the Hi-Hat (see image attached).

This allows me to move the Hi-Hat closer to the snare, which is more convenient when playing with both hands on the Hi-Hat. I also have more space for the drum computer, and the snare is right in the middle of my legs when I play double bass.

I've never seen such a setup, and I wonder if something is totally wrong with my layout that I had to resort to this solution. (Is it even legal to put the second base pedal on the far side of the Hi-Hat? Am I going to drummers hell just for wickedness?)

Or is there anybody else with such an outrageous setup?

Patrick

Attachments

• drums.jpeg
    drums.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 20
Highly Illegal to do that! JK.
"It ain't stupid if it works" said the redneck. Every drummer will have a different way to setup their kit, I like to have my drums close but what is close to me is usually too far for others, i'm 6'5" so my arm and leg reach is longer than most. So it that setup works for you then keep it. Also you want to keep your "drum computer" as far away from stick hits as possible since you set it up once and for the most part you don't really need to be messing with it save for minor adjustments.

Since you have the TD-27 ( I do too) I recommend this:

https://www.vexpressionsltd.com/27.html the Reality pack is great.

My TD-27 with some extras:

On keeping the computer away: It's far away to not get hit by accident, but it's also close enough that I can pick the set. I often switch between Metal (58) and Tight & Dry (~37).

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out!

Five toms and six cymbals, do I see that right?

There's zero rules on how you set up an ekit. Nothing is outrageous. You can put what you like, where you like - and with ekits that's far easier than with acoustics. Want 3 floor toms over your hat? No problems :)
In my avatar, I'm standing [outrageous] and those pads aren't necessarily making the sounds you think they should be based on position.

Don't limit your setup to emulating an acoustic. It's a totally different instrument and ekits open up your playing to many many possibilities. 8 snares just for the middle-8? Play the kick with your left hand? Play a bassline on your right foot? Easy.... :)

On keeping the computer away: It's far away to not get hit by accident, but it's also close enough that I can pick the set. I often switch between Metal (58) and Tight & Dry (~37).

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out!

Five toms and six cymbals, do I see that right?
5 toms plus the snare. (that makes it six drums on top and the bass drum on the bottom), and 8 cymbals.
I can connect more cymbals but I don't have rack space. ( I do have more electronic cymbals).
I am using the TD27 for most things except the two floor toms and 2 cymbals that are being powered by the TD-11, both modules output to a small Behringer mixer then I bring in my music to the TD27 and record the music and the backing track using the TD-27.
The video is recorded using an old GoPro Hero2 with an audio feed from the TD27 via a headphone splitter, one end going to my headphones and the second one going to the GoPro mic input. Finally I use Davinci Resolve to edit, I load the resulting video from the camera, then I add the audio track from the TD27, I sync both the GoPro audio and the TD27 audio (so that the video is in sync with the audio, then I remove the GoPro audio and leave just the TD27 audio (which is of better quality).
Of course that is only one way to record it and that is the simplest to setup, you could also record the audio into your computer in individual tracks, add the music track, record the video at the same time. process the audio in your DAW, and replace the audio in the video with the better audio from your DAW. You can do that with multiple cameras as well using a headphone amp because it takes one input and provides multiple outputs (one going to your headphones, and the remaining ones going to your cameras).

But all of this is way besides the point, you just want to make sure you can play comfortably so it what you did works keep it that way.

I love you can do anything with an skit-it's essentially pads in space-time. Since I prefer a two tom set up I just dropped the second tom (my cheap Alesi Surge) and the extra leg-turned into a tripod that is actually really steady. Super easy to carry and small footprint with all my other drum junk about.
IMG_4711.jpegIMG_4712.jpeg

The only rules in drum setups of any kind are that you don't damage your body or your equipment, and you can easily and comfortably play everything. There's conventions and traditions, sure, but nobody's going to come to your house and tear up your Eternal Fraternal Order of Drummers & Percussionists union card for switching your left-side bass drum pedal and your hi-hat. Experiment, innovate. Make sure the linkage never touches the hi-hat pedal or your left foot, and that things feel natural. If it works, it works.

The only rules in drum setups of any kind are that you don't damage your body or your equipment, and you can easily and comfortably play everything. There's conventions and traditions, sure, but nobody's going to come to your house and tear up your Eternal Fraternal Order of Drummers & Percussionists union card for switching your left-side bass drum pedal and your hi-hat. Experiment, innovate. Make sure the linkage never touches the hi-hat pedal or your left foot, and that things feel natural. If it works, it works.
I'll add to that Listen to your body. Your body will tell you what feels comfortable, once you find "the sweet spot", keep your setup that way. You will be able to more easily play things and your body won't get hurt. A lot of people tend to go for what looks cool but it is not very functional (for example Mike Mangini's extremely high tom setup), others go for that "the pros do" just know that drumming is NOT a one size fits all kind of thing, drumming is like war were everything is allowed. Finally get with Alparrot to get your EFOD&P card...

Attachments

• mike-mangini-drummer.jpg
    mike-mangini-drummer.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 3
I saw some guest on Drumeo (I think), that did this with the acoustic kit.

I'll have to think about that... who was it?

I saw some guest on Drumeo (I think), that did this with the acoustic kit.

I'll have to think about that... who was it?
Did what really high toms or cymbals? was it Kermit the frog.... I mean Dirk Verbeuren from Megadeth?

Back