Is a 24x16" bass drum that different than a 24x14" bass drum?

I have a 22x18. Although its not my favorite size in the world. It's the standard today to get low end and retain punch. After my current set has been used and loved for years to come, i'm opting for a kit with a 20x14 kick.

No difference in sound to my old, admittedly fatigued ears. I’m a child of the 70’s so 14” deep bass drums have the look I want. I’m cool with a 16” depth on 22” or larger bass drums but 18” deep on anything just looks weird to me.

And in 30-35 years, when the beer can bass drums are popular again, I'll humble myself and accept that everything old is new again. At that time, maybe I'll join a Blink 182/Fall Out Boy tribute band. :p

How about the DW 23 x 18. There...you have the best of both worlds......better keep a stash of heads

Don't have a 23 but have looked for 23" heads while surfing the sites and they are available when I look. Another offering. I don't see a down side.

According to Jeff O., his green kit, which most of his recording was done on, is a 14x26, not sure where you would think its a 15?
Jeff O also said he used single double ply heads. The dude in the video who is a Bonham fanatic says he used a 15. Did you watch the video?

I have a pair of 24x20's and I'd be willing to bet that if you stood in front of them, "less punchy" would be the last thing going through your head after the sound wave did.
The added depth doesn't make them less responsive or feel all that different as many seem to think. Those milliseconds don't make noticeable differences. I can play just as fast on them as I did my 14" deep ones that I had before, and they sound better to me.
No pillows for me, either, but they are ported for mics. Aquarian SK I and a coated reso is enough to tame the ring. I also didn't play acoustic environments or need to feather the drum.
I’ve got a 24” by 20” and can wholeheartedly endorse this comment!! (y) :D

Reactions: J-W
Jeff O also said he used single double ply heads. The dude in the video who is a Bonham fanatic says he used a 15. Did you watch the video?
started to watch, couldn't get past his personality. I guess it must be true because he says so though, unlike his former drum tech or all of the catalogs from Ludwig, this guy knows for sure.

started to watch, couldn't get past his personality. I guess it must be true because he says so though, unlike his former drum tech or all of the catalogs from Ludwig, this guy knows for sure.

The confusion here is that the green sparkle kit did have a 26"x14" but the Thermogloss Natural kit had a 15" deep 26" bass drum.
Author Billy Harrington verified it by actually going to see the actual (Thermogloss) drum set that is now owned by Paul Thompson and wrote an article about it for Modern Drummer.
Carmine Appice played the same custom size, prior to Bonham. Zepplin toured with Vanilla Fudge and Bonzo admired Carmine's oversized drums. Carmine talked Ludwig into taking on Bonham as an endorsee and had the same size kit ordered (again, custom made). That's why you don't see it in the catalog and Ocheltree is referring to the green sparkle kit when saying it was 14" deep.
I hope this clears things up.

Back