Inde Cymbal makers ?

Rolltide

Has anyone tried one in these cymbals, some sound fantastic , some don’t . I wanted to see if anybody could recommend anyone ?

I’m assuming you mean independent cymbal makers as a whole. I wish there were some kind of source or round-up that summarized all the established independents out there. Maybe there is, and I could probably just do it myself… anyway, it seems like Lasse Funch has a good operation going. I’m not sure how these other makers are standing out from the crowd, but it seems like Mongiello and Nicky Moon are the few who will make cymbals not specifically for jazz or jazz-adjacent contexts, although they can do so.

I haven’t watched all of this Steve Maxwell video, but it seems like you can get a good idea of the big names here:

I’ve tried or owned several cymbals from independent makers, and I follow a bunch on instagram. They are all capable of making beautiful gems and total clanger duds. Broadly, the longer they have been working, the more skill and reliability you can expect.

Two of the ones I have kept are by Nicky Moon. I custom ordered with specifications about how I wanted them to sound, a year apart, and he nailed it both times. I would order from him again anytime.

I kept only one of the three Funch cymbals I bought. His demo videos are classy and compelling, but something about the production masks the weird harmonics that many of his cymbals have. I’ve talked to a few other people who felt his videos were not trustworthy. The one I kept sounds awesome but it’s a lot lower pitch than it sounded in the video.

Timothy Roberts is making some great stuff these days. I had him mod an older cymbal once, and the results were just okay, but more recently he has started to get on top of the game.

I’ve tried or owned several cymbals from independent makers, and I follow a bunch on instagram. They are all capable of making beautiful gems and total clanger duds. Broadly, the longer they have been working, the more skill and reliability you can expect.

Two of the ones I have kept are by Nicky Moon. I custom ordered with specifications about how I wanted them to sound, a year apart, and he nailed it both times. I would order from him again anytime.

I kept only one of the three Funch cymbals I bought. His demo videos are classy and compelling, but something about the production masks the weird harmonics that many of his cymbals have. I’ve talked to a few other people who felt his videos were not trustworthy. The one I kept sounds awesome but it’s a lot lower pitch than it sounded in the video.

Timothy Roberts is making some great stuff these days. I had him mod an older cymbal once, and the results were just okay, but more recently he has started to get on top of the game.
Thank you

Back