Impressed with Behringer C2 mics as overheads

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If anyone wants a cheap-yet-good-sounding set of overhead mics, I would suggest a pair of Behringer C2's. I bought mine new for about $40 over 10 years ago to record acoustic music, and they did really well. Recently, I've started using them as overheads, and I'm beyond impressed. I don't know how roadworthy they will be over time, but for now, they really do the trick.

They come with clips, a stereo bar, windscreens, and a hard shell case.

If anyone wants a cheap-yet-good-sounding set of overhead mics, I would suggest a pair of Behringer C2's. I bought mine new for about $40 over 10 years ago to record acoustic music, and they did really well. Recently, I've started using them as overheads, and I'm beyond impressed. I don't know how roadworthy they will be over time, but for now, they really do the trick.

They come with clips, a stereo bar, windscreens, and a hard shell case.
As with drum kits, we are starting to see quality improvements from brands that used to be considered budget before. (some still are price wise).
Behringer has been focusing on providing better offerings and still manages to maintain the low price tag so win win.
What they provide can be considered now just as good as some mid tier gear of a few years ago.

As with drum kits, we are starting to see quality improvements from brands that used to be considered budget before. (some still are price wise).
Behringer has been focusing on providing better offerings and still manages to maintain the low price tag so win win.
What they provide can be considered now just as good as some mid tier gear of a few years ago.

Yup, the Behringer X32 Rack rig is now being used by alot of pros. I don't like it because it's so complex, but a lot of folks use it.

I've got a set of those, and they work amazingly well. I got them specifically for use in the bigger bars around here because I didn't want to bring in expensive gear that was also fragile and easy to steal, lol. I don't use them much any more, but they're still in my mic case and work fine.

I also used to use a rack mounted Behringer gate/compressor unit, but I no longer have it. It, too, worked fine and was still chugging along when I sold it.

I know the Behringer stuff is cheap, but the two items I've tried have punched well above their weight.

Yup, the Behringer X32 Rack rig is now being used by alot of pros. I don't like it because it's so complex, but a lot of folks use it.
It is complex and not one of Behringer's cheapest things, but it gives you lots of options, and you don't have to be an expert, just use what you need, and keep it as simple as possible. (save your scenes of frequently used setups for the most played venues). Make it.... (and this goes for any mixer casual user and not of course a dedicated sound guy who will need to take a deep dive) make it so that you only use what you really need, and only learn to use other things as either you become aware of their existence (and if they actually help improve your workflow) or the need to use those features becomes obvious. Like most mixers once you learn how one strip (channel) works, you basically understand most of the mixer's functions. The remainder is routing inputs and outputs to where they are needed. (Monitors, in ear mixes, control room, etc).

I've got a set of those, and they work amazingly well. I got them specifically for use in the bigger bars around here because I didn't want to bring in expensive gear that was also fragile and easy to steal, lol. I don't use them much any more, but they're still in my mic case and work fine.

I also used to use a rack mounted Behringer gate/compressor unit, but I no longer have it. It, too, worked fine and was still chugging along when I sold it.

I know the Behringer stuff is cheap, but the two items I've tried have punched well above their weight.
Same can be said with recent (last five or six years) Harbor Freight tools. They are really tightening their quality control and it shows. But the tools are still inexpensive.

It is complex and not one of Behringer's cheapest things, but it gives you lots of options, and you don't have to be an expert, just use what you need, and keep it as simple as possible. (save your scenes of frequently used setups for the most played venues). Make it.... (and this goes for any mixer casual user and not of course a dedicated sound guy who will need to take a deep dive) make it so that you only use what you really need, and only learn to use other things as either you become aware of their existence (and if they actually help improve your workflow) or the need to use those features becomes obvious. Like most mixers once you learn how one strip (channel) works, you basically understand most of the mixer's functions. The remainder is routing inputs and outputs to where they are needed. (Monitors, in ear mixes, control room, etc).

We replaced our X-32 with the QSC TouchMix-30, and I love it. It's much more intuitive.

Back