if you only had 30 minutes a day to practice drums how would u be practicing that time?

I was already sleeping for only 5-6 hours, getting less sleep would be even more harmful... Fortunately I was able to return to a more acceptable 6 1/2 to 7 hrs a night.
The message was not to you but to @georgeusa unless you are the same person....

I didnt read your answers before but I just did now, you didnt seen to have a problem, with time for practicing at least, in your previous messages you dind´t mention it, and were suggesting things to george too, like warming up, etc.

Me I dont have a problem with time to practice, I basically play all day, just wish the day is longer and we live eternally enjoying it!

Last edited:
The message was not to you but to @georgeusa unless you are the same person....

I didnt read your answers before but I just did now, you didnt seen to have a problem, with time for practicing at least, in your previous messages you dind´t mention it, and were suggesting things to george too, like warming up, etc.

Me I dont have a problem with time to practice, I basically play all day, just wish the day is longer and we live eternally enjoying it!
I am aware that the message was not directed at me personally. The point I was trying to make was that a lot of advise is handed here without proper context. (Yes most of it with good intentions) but in this case it almost sounded like "If you were not a lazy bum and slept less you would have much more time to practice" I know it is NOT what you said, but it is how it came across. I was just pointing at MY situation as of the last 14 weeks were my sleep time was severely reduced to use it as an example that some people don't have the luxury of many idle hours.
I believe the OP was inquiring because his time overall is also reduced for whatever reason hence him asking how to best utilize the time he currently has.

@doggyd69b,
I didn't assume anything, I answered him with something objective, this is sleeping one hour less, if he has it, he wants to sacrifice it or not, whatever, it could be a way out or not for him.

You are assuming everything else, both his lack of time and my intentions.

Is just an idea, it might be usefull for him or not, like other ideas proposed. I didn´t comment back after his comment.

If only I had half an hour EVERYDAY. Probably just jammin' to the CD player. Maybe paradiddles, doubles and singles, idk.

Last edited:
I'm in this boat, I just noodle in front of the TV on the pad and make sure the hands and fast and loose (singles/doubles, triplets, rudiments). Keeps my playing clean

yep...fundamentals. That is what I do as well

a half hour is not enough time for me to max out anything on the set

I would try to find time outside of the 30 minutes to prepare WHAT you want to work on, especially if you are trying to learn more genres and styles. Can you listen to music during the rest of your day? How well is your reading? Are you working out of books? What are your long term goals?

This is a great topic and I think we all find ourselves asking the same question. I’m a software engineer in between contracts on a regular basis. I also work from home. And just recently have a kit in my bedroom, which is also my office. My long term goal is session work level playing, with short term goals of latin, jazz and fusion styles. I have all the books on the shelf to consult on too. I currently get about 2 hrs of quality practice time, which is right now 90% on learning jazz charts for a November ensemble concert. Even if I’m not working on John Riley’s book, I try to read the exercises BEFORE I get to the practice space. A lot of this stuff is a know how thing. The whole section on brush work needs a couple hours of reading before a first attempt. Things like that.

30 minutes, I sit behind the kit and play along with some fun tracks, fun only after the job. This will be the richest 30 minutes of the day.

I've always played in original bands so it's rare that I'm ever practicing something "for me". If I have thirty minutes to practice and I don't have to allocate that to learning one of the band's older tunes (say, something from before I started with them that we haven't played yet), getting ready for an upcoming recording session, or running a song I want to tighten up before a big gig.. than I'm typically just putting on some 90's hip-hop or drumless YouTube tracks and jamming along to it.

I totally respect using personal rehearsal time to improve your abilities but for me I spend so much time stressing about music with the band that when I do actually play by myself I want it to be as low key, chill, and brainless as possible.

If I have time by myself to play music and I have the urge to actually do so I typically find myself firing up my computer and programming beats in a DAW or noodling around on a small keyboard trying to learn chords. Not to say I don't need drum practice time, I certainly could, BUT I gig 1-2 times a month and have a 2-3 hour full band practice once a week so I try to make it a point to "stretch my creative legs", so to speak.

Back